Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,943   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Re. Hasselblad V System. Anyone Else Notice This?

Bad news kids. The British Journal of Photography recently reported"
    The last 503CW camera has rolled off Hasselblad's production line, the Swedish firm has announced, putting an end to an iconic series of medium format cameras popular for its square format

Read more: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...#ixzz2XjcBeH3h

My guess is that prices on parts and accessories is going to skyrocket. I'm seriously bummed out.
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That news was on the various forums a few weeks ago. Yes, it's a bummer. IDK about either parts or values going up though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really hope people start making good use of 3D printers for this reason.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    35mm
    Analog decline is slow but inarrestable. It will come to an end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure, decline will continue if people stop supporting analog equipment and supplies. OTOH, while a lot of people chose to let manufacturers dictate what THEY want consumers to buy, those of us who say "we don't want what they're selling". That includes all the equipment that soon after release becomes outdated because of built-in obsolescence with a replacement on the assembly line soon after the first one was distributed. And all that before anyone can even prove the longevity of a digital image over one stored on film.

Just more reasons why I prefer my old and reliable Hasselblad gear and the images i create with them.
    Everything doesn't HAVE to be a corporate cost-benefit analysis and we don't have to keep buying the crap consumers are offered. Imagine what the world would be like if consumers stop buying digital equipment. <sigh>
    M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so they are quitting making hassy film cameras? Oh well -- there are only a few hundreds of thousand around the world, if not millions ... loss of the manufacturer does not mean loss of the camera. Witness the venerable Speed Graphic, the Kodak Medalist, every film stereo camera on the planet, and on and on -- none has a current manufacturer, all are still easily acquired, repaired, used.

I'm a huge fan of Leica, including SLR. Leica no longer makes, or even much supports, its SLR system of film cameras. Anyone out there having trouble finding cameras to buy? Repair Facilities?

And this is hassy's problem -- their cameras aren't wearing out fast enough to generate enough demand for new replacements. But that is only THEIR problem.

But it is not the users' problem. Your, my, our problem is simply how to resist the temptation to buy all the thousands of Hassys on the used market, at steadily declining prices.

So go buy a pro-pack of 120, go shoot it, and quit worrying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    Sure, decline will continue if people stop supporting analog equipment and supplies. OTOH, while a lot of people chose to let manufacturers dictate what THEY want consumers to buy, those of us who say "we don't want what they're selling". That includes all the equipment that soon after release becomes outdated because of built-in obsolescence with a replacement on the assembly line soon after the first one was distributed. And all that before anyone can even prove the longevity of a digital image over one stored on film.

Just more reasons why I prefer my old and reliable Hasselblad gear and the images i create with them.
    Everything doesn't HAVE to be a corporate cost-benefit analysis and we don't have to keep buying the crap consumers are offered. Imagine what the world would be like if consumers stop buying digital equipment. <sigh>
    M

The inconvenient truth is that you can support retailers, suppliers...the lot, but film's decline will continue in the years to come and they will all move to where the money is.

You don't have to do photography when there is no film. If you wan to continue, skill up on digital, everything from the photograph to hybridised print flow, while continuing to indulge your passion (and hopefully, a quality approach) to analogue photography.

Nothing like having the best of both worlds and a lot of experience to boot.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    The inconvenient truth is that you can support retailers, suppliers...the lot, but film's decline will continue in the years to come and they will all move to where the money is.

You don't have to do photography when there is no film. If you wan to continue, skill up on digital, everything from the photograph to hybridised print flow, while continuing to indulge your passion (and hopefully, a quality approach) to analogue photography.

Nothing like having the best of both worlds and a lot of experience to boot.
    My point, hopefully unbelabored, is to support analog photography, stop buying a line of B.S. from sales people that the newest digital accessory will last for years to come, and refuse to be persuaded cause it just ain't so.

Most of the publications, corporations, their ad agencies and art directors that hire me to shoot for them, do so primarily because they like my work, my ability to solve their photographic problems on location AND the fact that I still shoot film and don't care to manipulate pixels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    My point, hopefully unbelabored, is to support analog photography, stop buying a line of B.S. from sales people that the newest digital accessory will last for years to come, and refuse to be persuaded cause it just ain't so.

Most of the publications, corporations, their ad agencies and art directors that hire me to shoot for them, do so primarily because they like my work, my ability to solve their photographic problems on location AND the fact that I still shoot film and don't care to manipulate pixels.

Sounds good.
    But I'm not talking about "manipulating pixels". I'm talking about future shock.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the sky IS falling and it tastes like vanilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin