Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,473   Online: 1093

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/zeiss_i...on_ikoflex.htm

Don't know if you've seen this site or not. A kind soul gave me an Ikoflex just the other week, and I'm starting to understand the camera.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/zeiss_i...on_ikoflex.htm

Don't know if you've seen this site or not. A kind soul gave me an Ikoflex just the other week, and I'm starting to understand the camera.
    Thanks, Thomas. I have been there but, unfortunately, this exact model is not included among the manuals available. I believe this is the II/III aka 852/16 ...

I spent some time today, playing with it, running through its knobs and levers, etcetera ... and while everything moves smoothly and is cosmetically gorgeous, the shutter doesn't respond when I try to tension it (lever below the taking lens) ... also the viewfinder is pretty dim. I'm assuming it needs a new mirror.

I got this at a low-enough price, knowing there was a good chance it would need some work. The seller got it from a gentleman who served in the war and brought this back from Germany, then kept it in his home and never used it for the next 65 years, stored in its case in the dry, West Texas climate in a temperature-controlled home.

I'm surprised at how smooth and fluid the focus knob is, actually, all things considered. But not a lot of throw on the focus. Goes out 10 meters then infinity.

The build quality is quite good, just like everyone says. I really like how compact it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (9).JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	70986

Name:	photo (10).JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	70987

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are saying the shutter tension lever doesn't move or it moves but then the shutter doesn't fire? You might want to to set the film counter to 1 by turning the film counter wheel (right side of camera in front of the focusing knob). That may allow you to fire the shutter.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrismat View Post
    Are saying the shutter tension lever doesn't move or it moves but then the shutter doesn't fire? You might want to to set the film counter to 1 by turning the film counter wheel (right side of camera in front of the focusing knob). That may allow you to fire the shutter.

Chris
    The shutter lever moves but it doesn't do anything and there's no resistance when you move it, althought it does spring back to its original position.

Tried setting the frame counter to 1 and i got nothin'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to contact Mark Hansen a twww.zeissikonrolleirepair.com. I haven't used him yet, but I've got a couple of Ikoflexes that I hope to send to him eventually.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The information at this Flickr page is what I needed: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/3536488812/ ... this is about the 1b, but the same applies to this camera, which I confirmed over at the ZICG is an 852/16 Ikoflex II.

I depressed the frame counter and turned it counter clockwise until it stopped. Then the film advance knob would turn only to a certain point and stop. The red indicator showed next to the viewfinder and the shutter-tension lever tensioned the shutter normally, after which the shutter release worked as well.

The fast speeds actually seem close. The slow speeds less so. 1/2 second is closer to 1 second and 1 second is closer to 2 seconds ... but 1/50 and up seem useable.

It's probably worth noting that all of this was possible even with the viewfinder hood closed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Novar lenses on these are excellent performers. Very sharp even wide open, and their IQ is really good. I don't know anything about swirley bokeh, mine has nice, smooth bokeh. If you go on the big auction site you should be able to find a replacement mirror for it. If your searches don't come up w/ one, try searching for "ciroflex replacement mirror". Martin sells those, and he can cut a mirror for your camera to spec. He already has the specs for the Voigtlander Brillant and Ikoflex TKR's because I measured them and sent them to him. The mirrors that he sent me worked perfectly in both my cameras, and were the correct thickness.

Congratulations on your purchase. The Ikoflex cameras are quite quirky and under appreciated. The lenses are great, but they are certainly heavy cameras. If you get a good strap, no problem, and w/ a good mirror and the focus screen cleaned up (the top can be wiped w/ a clean damp rag, but be careful on the bottom. Just give it a good brush w/ a soft bristled paint brush to remove dirt) they are easy to focus.
    Last edited by momus; 07-02-2013 at 11:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Momus, this one definitely has a dim viewfinder. Everything else works well. I'm going to get it CLA'd by Clarence Gass, who is fairly local to me. I'm hoping he can replace or have resilvered the mirror and I plan to get a new, brighter ground glass from Rick Oleson.

Here are two photos from the first two rolls

HP5+ in Rodinal/stand dev. Wide-open f3.5 1/30 handheld

Name:	img050_1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	568.5 KB 
ID:	71131

FP4+ in rodinal / stand dev. Wide open 1/2 sec with a makeshift tri-pod

Name:	img052_1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	71133
    Last edited by pstake; 07-04-2013 at 07:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added photo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is my Ikoflex with a Tessar:

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	381.0 KB 
ID:	71186
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Pstake ,

I liked your first Picture very much , you must try with kodak , same Picture. You would not believe your eyes , how the colors elegant and strong.

Take care ,

Umut

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin