Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,467   Online: 919

Shooter
    35mm RF

Agfa Clack & Click alternatives?

Hi everyone

I am looking for a 120 MF camera that is not a TLR, a folder or a system camera. I initially had my eyes on the Agfa Clack and Click but was wondering if there are any alternatives to them?

Thanks for your help
    Philip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Holga, Diana F, Druh (polish camera), Kodak box and brownie, Zeiss tengor box, Agfa box...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I guess it depends--do you want something that will give you a distinctly toy-camera look (Diana etc) or something that be more like a conventional instamatic-type camera? I have both a Clack and a Diana-clone and the Clack tends to be more reliable in the conventional way--it lacks the obvious design and manufacturing flaws of the Diana (though I do get what I like to cal "claccidents"). I've gotten more use out of the Clack overall.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa Isola. There are two versions with different lenses. One with achromat and most simple shutter, one with triplet and somewhat advanced shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want the Diana/Holga look, you might look at getting a Kodal Brownie Hawkeye from the late forties/early 50s and reversing the lens. Easy job. Designed for 620 film so you will need some 620 spools to use for your take up spool when using 120 film. Shot three rolls with mine this week. This assumes you process your own film and can save the spools.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I second the Agfa Isola, great little camera. Try to get the version with 2 shutterspeeds + Bulb, gives you a little more control. The lens is way better than the Click and the Clack since it's a simple triplet.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are so many alternatives out there it is hard to know where to begin!
    First I guess I will repeat the suggestion for one of the Agfa Isolas. I like the II model myself, with the better lens and three shutter speeds - lots of bang for the buck there. (Except that if we keep talking bout them, the "buck" side of that equation is only going to be going up!)

Quote Originally Posted by philipus View Post
    ... not a TLR, a folder or a system camera.
    Maybe the term viewfinder camera applies - at least that is how I refer to them.

Considering just that type (and not pseudo TLR's, Box cameras or simple folders), you choices include the Dacora Digna, Goldammer Goldixette, Vredeborch Felica (and its many variants), Braun Paxina, Ilford Sporti, Certo-phot, Certo-matic, Arti-Six, and Balda Baldixette, just to name a few. If you don't mind venturing into 620 film, there are also the likes of the Meteor (Universal Camera Corp.), Ansco Readyflash, Sawyer's Nomad 620, Imperial Savoy or Imperial Mark XII. Those are just off the top of my head, and it is a pretty diverse list, ranging the gamut from very toy-like cameras, to ones having surprisingly good image quality. Note that many (such as the Isola) come in multiple versions where one type may be just a simple light box and a meniscus-lens, while another has a better lens design, more shutter speed options and greater flexibility overall. Also, note that some may be rather hard to find, while others are ubiquitous.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin