Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,812   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

TLR focus problem

Hi Everyone, I have an Autocord that seems to have a focus issue.

The focus at infinity is good - the taking lens matches the viewing lens, I assume because everything is sharp on the negative even wide open.

I have never noticed a focus problem, and I routinely look very close at every negative. I usually stop down though, and focus about 7 or 8 feet out to infinity though.

When I notice a problem is wide open at near the close focus limit. Every photo taken this way seems to be focused 3 or 4 inches behind where I focused...and it is consistent on every frame of 2 rolls so I think I can rule out user error.

So my question - could the taking lens and viewing lens be out of sync?
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebarry View Post
    Hi Everyone, I have an Autocord that seems to have a focus issue.

The focus at infinity is good - the taking lens matches the viewing lens, I assume because everything is sharp on the negative even wide open.

I have never noticed a focus problem, and I routinely look very close at every negative. I usually stop down though, and focus about 7 or 8 feet out to infinity though.

When I notice a problem is wide open at near the close focus limit. Every photo taken this way seems to be focused 3 or 4 inches behind where I focused...and it is consistent on every frame of 2 rolls so I think I can rule out user error.

So my question - could the taking lens and viewing lens be out of sync?
    Quite possibly. Is the image uniformly unsharp, or is one side (or top or bottom) sharper?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quite probably they are out of sync. Personally, when I set up rangefinders and TLR's, I concentrate on getting my sync at the closest distances and let infinity fall where it may.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The film may not be held flat in the center.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IC - ah good point. I put my focus point for all 24 frames almost dead center. BUT - the entire focus plane seems to be constant across the frame.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E. von - seems to be consistent through the entire frame - but I did not shoot anything 2 d.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would say that the viewing lens is a bit out of sync with the taking lens. I've worked on a lot of cameras and have come to expect this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, do you know is there an adjustment for this on the camera? Or is it shims and stuff?
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Large Format
    If it's anything like a Rollei, once the face plate is removed, there will be a set screw that is tightened up against the thread screws of the taking lens. Loosen the set screw and you should be able to just turn the taking lens in its threaded mount till it jives. Then tighten the set screw and put the face plate back on. Google up for an assembly or repair manual on the camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I didn't think to tell you, you'll need a piece of groundglass to put on the film plane and use n Agfa lupe or the like. Or get a piece of ordinary picture frame glass of the correct size to put on the film plane. Use thar Scotch translucent tape--I think it's called transparent tape, to use for the groundglass. Concentrate on the close-up end of the focus scale, since that's where errors count most. Infinity SHOULD come out near perfect when you're done.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin