Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,961   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Using 500CM with duff mirror damper - bad idea?

I have on hand a 500CM with clearly duff mirror damper (just a very few bits clinging on - more in hope than expectation)

I'd like to run a couple of rolls through to test the general functioning of camera, lens and back, but I have a vague concern that this could damage mirror or mirror mechanism (or both) if the mirror is clattering back up without a soft landing.

Am I being overcautious?

(If I decide to keep the camera it'll go for a full service anyway)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Couldn't you improvise a damping?

Shooter
    Large Format
    This can allow the mirror to over-travel it's distance and jam the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that's the sort of thing I was afraid of

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think it will cause any problems if you want to check the camera. However the mirror cushions that support the mirror in the frame are made of the same material so you may have focus problems. It is an easy fix!

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mirror vibration or slap in a Hassie is one of the most common causes of lack of image sharpness. If the damper is bad, how do you know something else doesn't need attention on that body?

This kind of begs the question of how are you going to decide whether or not to keep it if it's not working at it's maximum performance level? If you like it, keep it and get it CLA'd at a reputable shop. I'd do that first. They'll go through it and fix what's necessary to bring it back to spec (or as close as possible). When you get it back, THEN test it. ;>) and odds are you'll be really pleased with its performance and results.

Take it light ;>)
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Feldstein; 07-06-2013 at 02:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well, yes I realise all that, as I put in my OP

Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    (If I decide to keep the camera it'll go for a full service anyway)
    On a point of pure (or perhaps perfect) pedantry, "Begs the question" is a corrupted usage these days; It doesn't mean "invites the question" or "the question must be answered", but is a formulation of a fallacy in syllogistic logic (in which the initial premise contains an implicit assumption of the truth of the conclusion)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    well, yes I realise all that, as I put in my OP

On a point of pure (or perhaps perfect) pedantry," "Begs the question" is a corrupted usage these days; It doesn't mean "invites the question" or "the question must be answered", but is a formulation of a fallacy in syllogistic logic (in which the initial premise contains an implicit assumption of the truth of the conclusion)
    Beyond that existentialist hyperbole which I believe I'm possibly privileged to promote, is previously perfect pointlessly principled pedantry absent of all proper priority.

As I enquired earlier: How can you tell if you want to keep it until you have it conditioned out of duff and up to snuff perhaps even buff?

"Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe. . .

. . . 'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe."

from the Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll.
    Last edited by Mark Feldstein; 07-06-2013 at 04:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    tell if you want to keep it until you have it conditioned out of duff and up to snuff perhaps even buff?
    um ... er ... well, it's a Hasselblad ... isn't that enough?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In addition to do the above it also performs as a light seal to prevent light from coming into the film chamber through the focusing screen/hood.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin