Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,814   Online: 722

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Bronica ETRS Shutter malfunction on 75mm prime.

My Bronica ETRS has developed a strange issue. The battery is known good/new, and the camera did work well. However, now about 80% of the time when depressing the shutter trip button, the mirror will raise but
    the shutter will not fire. Very slightly moving the lens will cause the shutter to fire for the correct time specified. Should I get a new lens? The contacts look clean, I have yet to try and clean them better.
    At this point because all mechanical devices seem to work, I am leaning strongly towards an electronic fault. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    35mm
    There was a thread recently about SQ shutter issues. It may be worth a look. There was information about the shutter actuation mechanism which may be similar on the ETRS. Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My 150mm had the same issue. A good scrubbing of both the body and lens contacts with a soft pink pencil eraser seems to have resolved the issue. It's a good easy (cheap) place to start.

Ryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since the mirror raises, it is likely a problem in the lens. Trying another lens would be a good way to isolate the problem as to body or lens. That's one reason I have about 2.5 SQ-A kits on hand! The shutter, and a bunch of mechanics are in the lens, so it could be cleaning and lube time. But there are also some electrical connections in the lens that could have a problem.

There is some Bronica info at Buona Luce ("good light"!) that might provide some insight.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks gentlemen! I'll give these a try.
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is almost certainly due to old grease in the mechanism that transfers the shutter release movement from the body to the lens. The shutter itself is not at fault and does not need to be touched. It is an easy fix. The dead giveaway is that it will fire if the lens is rotated/jiggled on its mount.

I've posted here on APUG regarding what it is and how to fix it, but I gave more thorough instructions here:

www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00bG13

This regards an SQ series lens, but the ETR series lenses have mechanisms which work the same way. I first discovered the problem and figured out the solution on an ETR series lens, a 75mm E-II in fact, so be assured these directions work for ETR lenses.

You will only need to remove the back plate to gain access to the places you need to clean and relube.
    Last edited by lxdude; 07-05-2013 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lens_zps5826a69c.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	71168

Circled in red are the screws that I can not get to move. I don't really want to soak them in anything so I'll have to think of a way to go.
    Thanks for all the help!
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You do not need to remove those screws. They hold rotation limiters for the focusing helicoid. You can do everything from the point in disassembly you have already reached.

In the instructions I linked to, I referred to the rollers and to the cam plate where it contacts the rollers as what needed to be cleaned and regreased.

See that short slot on the left of the picture, midway up? One of the rollers is clearly visible inside it. It is through that slot and its counterpart visible in the picture on the other side that you will reach the old lube to remove and replace it. When you look into the slots while rotating the cam plate you will be able to see the edges of the cam plate, which contact the rollers and move them outward, and it is those edges you need to clean and relube also.
    Along the edges of the cover plate are two semicircular slots: the one nearest the camera is bordered by the row of soldered wires. Through either of those slots you can rotate the cam plate through its full motion.
    Last edited by lxdude; 07-06-2013 at 11:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the details! I THOUGHT those were grease points, but I'm no lens mechanic so I decided it better to ask. I was thinking from all that reading I needed to take that next plate off.
    Lens repair underway. I'll let you know how it goes!
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, next time I do a repair, I'm going to write a clearer tutorial, with pictures, and post it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin