Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,392   Online: 1071

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The first is bending back the leading edge of the film at around a quarter inch from the end

above is what I do, bending back leader, then with you thumb and middle finger holder the film while depressing film down with pointer finger. That will further keep it from curling on you. Gently find the start of the entry point of the reel and push the film in. When you fell that the film is in past the ball bearings gently pull the fim a little bit with oposite hand to get it started and the end with feeding motion. I have a swamp cooler in my house here in the southwest and it cool based on humidity. Never had an issue loading in a timely manner with this technique. Can spool a roll in less than a minute. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    +1 for the Arista reels, and a suggestion for the changing bag.
    Try building a frame from 1/2 inch PVC for inside the bag. This makes things much easier since you're not fighting the bag all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plastic and humidity is a combination that is guaranteed to send you right off the deep end.

If you plan on doing a lot of 120, I can't recommend Hewes reels highly enough. Once you get the knack for pulling the film to the right just enough so that it drops over the rail above the clip (then push down on the clip and feed the film back to the left, over the clip), loading 120 reels becomes pretty easy. The SS reels don't care how humid it is, and if you don't go out of your way to bend them, they'll last you forever.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just switched to Stainless a couple weeks ago. For 35mm it is still harder than plastic for me, but 120 is much easier.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seadrive View Post
    Plastic and humidity is a combination that is guaranteed to send you right off the deep end.
    This. I once spent half an hour trying to get a roll of 120 on a reel in a changing tent on a humid afternoon. I tried three different reels without success. The next evening I went and used a darkroom that was air conditioned and it went on in 30 seconds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Paterson reels myself, 120 usually is quick and easy but 35 gives me fits. Till I got a little dark room I used a large changing bag, hated that thing, nothing was easy for me.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Usually I read all the comments but I didn't...

However, just get the samigon platic reels, also called Rokunar brand

They are MUCH better and the only way to go...

They have a much better loading tongue that makes it super easy to load...

Hope that helps...

Also this link SHOULD work...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...feed_Reel.html

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys! I think I may have an interim solution (may still get a Samigon and a SS reel to try it out as well). I followed mwdake suggestion, but in doing so I realize that the ball bearings are the real issue (they are completely clean on all 3 reels I own) as they seem to stick especially when it gets a small amount of resistance - which causes kinks; so I use the paper trick mwdake mentioned, but then I also slightly pinch the film and instead of ratcheting the film on the reel, I keep pushing it all the way. Now I can get it loaded in less than a minute consistently and I was able to develop a few rolls in a 30 minute period (which was my goal). Thanks so much again everyone for the recommendation, and I am happy (misery loves company) that I am not the only one that had issues with these hateful things

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once you get the hang of SS reels for 120 I suspect you might stick with them. I think Patterson style plastic reels are better for 35mm. I find that I struggle with 35mm on stainless steel reels but 120 is always a piece of cake!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    Thanks guys! I think I may have an interim solution (may still get a Samigon and a SS reel to try it out as well). I followed mwdake suggestion, but in doing so I realize that the ball bearings are the real issue (they are completely clean on all 3 reels I own) as they seem to stick especially when it gets a small amount of resistance - which causes kinks; so I use the paper trick mwdake mentioned, but then I also slightly pinch the film and instead of ratcheting the film on the reel, I keep pushing it all the way. Now I can get it loaded in less than a minute consistently and I was able to develop a few rolls in a 30 minute period (which was my goal). Thanks so much again everyone for the recommendation, and I am happy (misery loves company) that I am not the only one that had issues with these hateful things
    I suspect once you use the samigon reels you'll never look back

SS reels are a problem because you run the risk of skipping tracks and film touching itself causing it not to develop the touching area. The only SS I use is for 70mm at 15 feet, but that's really the only solution I've found so that's why I use SS for 70mm.

The self loading reels wil ALWAYS have a little issue with the Ball bearings, because its plastic on metal, I've noticed if I just do a little pushing on (you can do this with the samigon, not sure you can with Paterson/Jobo) the tongue enough that the ball bearing comes loose and rattles then release the pressure and just doing that seems to make sure that the film doesn't stick. Also remember to keep one side upright so the tongue is almost at the top, and only rotate the other side. (For me I load with the film facing me, so I turn the right side and keep the left side still).

Also don't be in a rush to "finish in a minute" treat the film like a lady, give her the time she needs to get loaded properly without any damage haha

Good luck!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin