Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,922   Online: 1105

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kudos to those who can load in a changing bag! I reserve mine for emergencies, using instead a bathroom at night. A towel at the bottom of the door and strict injunctions about household members turning on lights does the job. I've found that if after 5 or 10 minutes I can't see my hand its dark enough. A few tiny pinpricks of light don't seem to matter, I position my body between them and the light. The film, reels, tank, lid, etc. go in an 11x14 developing tray. You don't want to search for the tank lid on the floor in the dark!

I use Paterson for 120 after a horrid experience trying SS. I might try again using some of the tricks above.

For whatever reason my mojo for SS reel loading seems to have fled. Years ago they were all I used for 35mm, even Ektachromes from a European trip. Now I can't seem to load them, even the exact same reels I used back in the day. Go figure! Paterson reels work fine for me, I do run them through the dishwasher periodically, top rack.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    Kudos to those who can load in a changing bag! I reserve mine for emergencies, using instead a bathroom at night. A towel at the bottom of the door and strict injunctions about household members turning on lights does the job. I've found that if after 5 or 10 minutes I can't see my hand its dark enough. A few tiny pinpricks of light don't seem to matter, I position my body between them and the light. The film, reels, tank, lid, etc. go in an 11x14 developing tray. You don't want to search for the tank lid on the floor in the dark!

I use Paterson for 120 after a horrid experience trying SS. I might try again using some of the tricks above.

For whatever reason my mojo for SS reel loading seems to have fled. Years ago they were all I used for 35mm, even Ektachromes from a European trip. Now I can't seem to load them, even the exact same reels I used back in the day. Go figure! Paterson reels work fine for me, I do run them through the dishwasher periodically, top rack.
    Ahh 10 minutes! That's a long time to wait, I don't mind the changing bag, then again it's all I've ever used...

I CAN use the Paterson reels, I use only Paterson tanks and have a 2,3, and 5 reel tank so I have a lot of unused reels, I keep them as filler (so the reels don't slide if I only do one roll in a 2 reel tank for example) and I accidentally threw one in the changing bag and had already unrolled the film when I realized the error, I was like NOOOOOO!!!! But with some struggling I managed to get the film in, but it was certainly MUCH more difficult than with the samigon. I don't know why the other companies don't use that type of feeder, it's awesome!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use pencil lead or wash from time to time your spirals in "Steradent" against the lime. Clip the "start" corners of your film, about 2 á 3 mm 45<,
    pull the film over the 'balls' > start rotating the wheels(don't push!!) 2 minutes work good luck

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k.hendrik View Post
    Use pencil lead or wash from time to time your spirals in "Steradent" against the lime. Clip the "start" corners of your film, about 2 &#225; 3 mm 45 start rotating the wheels(don't push!!) 2 minutes work good luck
    What does "Use pencil lead or wash from time to time your spirals in "Steradent" against the lime." Mean, that entire sentence makes absolutely no sense to me...

Why are you using pencil lead? And where are you putting it? And what's Steradent and where the heck are you getting lime from?

I'm honestly totally confused...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    What does "Use pencil lead or wash from time to time your spirals in "Steradent" against the lime." Mean, that entire sentence makes absolutely no sense to me...

Why are you using pencil lead? And where are you putting it? And what's Steradent and where the heck are you getting lime from?

I'm honestly totally confused...

We know .

A "lead" pencil actually is mostly graphite - an excellent dry lubricant.

And Steradent appears to be denture cleaner.

And if I had to guess, "lime" probably refers to a build up of "crud".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    +1 to those Paterson-like (Samigon or whatever) plastic reels mentioned above. I got mine in a kit (2 reels + tank) from Freestyle a few years ago. They've worked brilliantly for 120. I think Freestyle described them as admittedly Paterson knock-offs; I wondered what I was getting into by being a cheapskate. So it's fun to read now that I'm not the only one finding them better than the Paterson originals!

Tip: I've found if developing two rolls of 120 (needing same developing process, obviously), taping the two together does not work well, and applying tape is needlessly difficult. I load one roll entirely and ensure its trailing end is free of the ball-bearings. Then I simply push it (via a fingertip pushing the trailing edge) all the way in to the center of the roll. Then load the second roll as normal.

My only trouble with these plastic reels has been not with 120 but with super-curly 35mm films (Efke mostly; peace be upon them) or similarly with usually compliant 35mm films (e.g., most Ilford ones) if they've been tightly wound backwards about a camera's take-up spool for months because I took forever finishing a roll.

I should say my entire experience is with loading in a darkened closet at night. My first changing bag is on order right now so that I can do loads/unloads in the daytime if needed. (I'm about to get into 4x5.)

--Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    We know .

A "lead" pencil actually is mostly graphite - an excellent dry lubricant.

And Steradent appears to be denture cleaner.

And if I had to guess, "lime" probably refers to a build up of "crud".
    I thought the OP said they were NEW reels. No crud, it's the getting them into the reel that's the difficult part...

Good to know about the graphite (I did know lead wasn't lead anymore).

I thought it was bad news to use regular water and that it should be heavily filtered (which is what I do) or be distilled, so I wouldn't think lime would EVER be a problem. Also I have city water and we don't have lime... Lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether you use Ss or plastic it helps to practice with a throwaway roll. This will allow you to see what you are doing wrong. Dump the changing bag and load your film in a room that can be made dark. I suspect that part of your problem is from moisture from your hands.

SS reels ARE easy to load. Again the key is to practice., first with your eyes open and then, when you become more confident, with your eyes closed.

With plastic reels it is very important that they be kept scrupulously clean. A product like CLR may be helpful to remove calcium buildup. I worry about the pencil lead trick and graphite particles getting on the emulsion.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-08-2013 at 11:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/55043-...eveloping-Reel

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Those Arista Premium reels are available under a number of names. In my case, they came branded as "AP". It may be that the Samigon reels you are referring to are the same as the Arista Premium/AP reels.
    AP Photo is the manufacturer of these.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/55043-...eveloping-Reel

AP Photo is the manufacturer of these.
    I doubt they actually make them, probably rebranded, but damn those are a good price, might pick up a few extras

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin