Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,065   Online: 982

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AP is a manufacturer originating from a plastic moulding company.

see also:
    http://www.apphoto.es/ap_products/docs/eng/empresa.htm

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post

see also:
    For some reason my brain translates AP as Arista Plastics hahahha granted I've had 2 hours sleep an now headed to work lol

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have never heard of anyone having these types of problems loading film on a reel, nor do I understand how an improperly loaded reel cannot be scanned? Do you mean developed? If I had these sort of issues I would just shoot 35mm, LF, or digital. Life is too short as it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    hahahha granted I've had 2 hours sleep an now headed to work lol
    I hope your work hasn't anything to do with health/education or in any form is related to human life

btw; after some wine yesterday evening I forgot to mention the word "calcium" !! The word 'crud' is new to me; thanks. and 'pencil' : use a 6B pencil >start in the middle > just one stroke on both reels>film goes in like ... well whatever. Works good on (old)car keys too. Nobody talks about the importance of "cutting the film-corners" !
    Last edited by k.hendrik; 07-09-2013 at 02:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    AP ones work better for me as well.

I have had a problem, on and off, for years with Paterson reels. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I have come to the conclusion, having eliminated all else, that there is a defect with some of the 'halves' and when 2 slightly bad halves are joined, you end up with a very bad whole reel that will not load no matter how clean or dry everything is. 135 or 120 adjusted.

I'm switching to stainless now but having read some of the problems people encounter, I feel like it might be back to square one, with the exception being that if I master the steel, it will be downhill from there (til my body fails me ). The best thing I ever did buy, with ref. to loading, was a Calumet changing tent. I so love my pop-up tent.

Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used Patterson tanks and reels for 90% of my film developing life and have never had a problem with them, there is a very simple trick to Patterson reels, and one which would apply to any plastic reels, take a sharp pencil, run the lead around the groves of the reel, load film, film slips in like a hot knife though butter, I have been doing this for more years than I care to remember and I have yet to have a film stick.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    I have used Patterson tanks and reels for 90% of my film developing life and have never had a problem with them, there is a very simple trick to Patterson reels, and one which would apply to any plastic reels, take a sharp pencil, run the lead around the groves of the reel, load film, film slips in like a hot knife though butter, I have been doing this for more years than I care to remember and I have yet to have a film stick.
    Again read the other posts, it's not the film sticking in the groves it's getting the film to load in the reel in the first place.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post

see also:
    Mine, mentioned in my post above, must be AP as well. There are no words on the reels, but they came in a set with a tank, and on the bottom of the tank it says "Made in Spain."

As I said I've had no problems other than with flagrantly curly 35 mm -- so, no problems that I ascribe to the reels. That's despite the fact that they've never been cleaned with anything other than water. After each processing of film, I simply rinse them off. No scrubbing of the grooves or anything so scrupulous as that!

--Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Again read the other posts, it's not the film sticking in the groves it's getting the film to load in the reel in the first place.

Again I have yet to have a problem, the only time I ever had problems starting 120 or 35mm films was with SS reels, gave up with them after spending to much time trying to start them, went back to patterson and never a problem, try starting with the tape end of the film, tear the tape and fold any excess and use the tape to stiffen the film, may help, also I was aware of the problem, using the pencil to dry grease the start of the reel does help, make sure the ball bearing are not stuck and the film should simply slip in, I have been loading 120 film into Patterson reels for over 40 years using these methods and I have yet to either have a film stick or problems starting,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    loaded my first two 120 rolls into my patterson yesterday with no issues. i was worried as i read this thread first, but cutting the corners made it quick and easy, and i do use a changing bag

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin