Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,727   Online: 847

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    This is HUGE!!! I read it on this forum. This place is great for practical advice once you get past all the philisophical debates.

Unroll the entire roll of film and separate it from the backing paper. Fold the tape over the end of the roll. Now this is important. Bend the taped end of the roll back on itself near the end. Basically take the curve out of it. Now load that end first. With a dry reel that solved my loading problems. It can still be a bit finicky to get started but it doesn't hang a third or half way through for me anymore. I no longer dent my film and cause those semi circles and I don't use the SS reels I own. Try it and let us know how it works for you.
    This is the way I do it since a few years now, with jobo reels. Works every time, provided the reels are dry.

Stefan

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Again read the other posts, it's not the film sticking in the groves it's getting the film to load in the reel in the first place.
    Sticking in the groves and not slipping into the groves are two sides on one medal.
    Both would basically be due to friction. One remedy could be the application of a dry-lubrican as graphite

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I reckon being too 'gentle' when ratcheting the film in causes the ball bearings to 'stick'. I use quick movements and have no issues. I lightly grip the reel and if the film does jam I seem to be able to stop and not bend anything. Only time I've had trouble was when using a change bag... a creation of evil that thing!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Sticking in the groves and not slipping into the groves are two sides on one medal.
    Both would basically be due to friction. One remedy could be the application of a dry-lubrican as graphite
    Ok well when I use Paterson/jobo reels, I don't have trouble sliding the film, I have trouble getting the film to simply go into the groves... Once it's in the groves it's no problem, it's that unlike the samigon. There's no tongue to lay the film on and guide it into the track. There's a TINY edge sticking out bit it takes me forever and a million tries to get both sides of the film to fall into the groves and not slip out of the other side.

It sounds like the OP has that same issue.

I could be wrong.. OP?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i'd get rid of the plastic reels altogether .. even metal reels with no film clip
    are easier to load ... plastic reels are for the birds ... and loading them
    in a hot humid zippered bag .. talk about looking for troubles ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i'd get rid of the plastic reels altogether .. even metal reels with no film clip
    are easier to load ... plastic reels are for the birds ... and loading them
    in a hot humid zippered bag .. talk about looking for troubles ..
    Guess we all have a preference.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ok well when I use Paterson/jobo reels, I don't have trouble sliding the film, I have trouble getting the film to simply go into the groves... Once it's in the groves it's no problem, it's that unlike the samigon. There's no tongue to lay the film on and guide it into the track. There's a TINY edge sticking out bit it takes me forever and a million tries to get both sides of the film to fall into the groves and not slip out of the other side.
    Now I understand what you referred to.

By the way, Jobo too changed the design of their reels (transparent to white version) concerning those guides at the start of the groves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have quite the opposite problem. I hate loading 35mm, and have a much easier time loading 120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Time and time again I have tried using SS reels with little success. I use plastic with the ratchet with no issues. I felt like I was 'failing' at using a standard darkroom tool and I couldn't bring myself to let it go but I finally just used what worked for me. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the centre loading plastic Gepe reels really easy to load. They come with a loading guide, and can be loaded in about 15 seconds dry or damp. I think they are sold under various different brand names. I prefer them over the Jobo reels, especially when it comes to unloading - the film unwinds so easily. In fact, I don't think I've had a single problem with these - no jumped tracks, no kinks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin