Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,771   Online: 821

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't read all the replies but my biggest advice is when you load the film, don't let the film "rock" back and forth as you're winding it onto the reel. Also use your pinkies as a spool to hold the spare film. I can get my 120 film onto the reel the first time 95% of the time using these tips and I had a lot of trouble before.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    I didn't read all the replies but my biggest advice is when you load the film, don't let the film "rock" back and forth as you're winding it onto the reel. Also use your pinkies as a spool to hold the spare film. I can get my 120 film onto the reel the first time 95% of the time using these tips and I had a lot of trouble before.
    Always had trouble with the pinky trick... I agree don't rock the spool.

But I just let it hang and rotate one side without altering the axis of the spool.

Never had a scratch or anything of concern. In the beginning if I didn't make sure the ball bearings were sufficiently loose I would have issues where it would jam but once I learned to "release" them by relieving pressure on their surroundings and hearing the rattle of balls on both sides, then I haven't had issues.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I had stainless steel and could never lod them quickly. I have 5 reels for the Unicolor film drum from doing my own E6. For a single roll of 120 I like the old FR plastic tank. You spear the end on the spear that is on the center post and just keep rolling it on. It used to take 220 also when that was more available. That was the easiest I ever used. Now I have Patterson for 2 rolls at a time. I never got brave enoigh to try B&W in the Unicolor drum and rotator.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a paterson tank and I always had a bit of 120 film sticking out of it. I couldn't get all of it in, because it would bend. I've tried all the tricks mention here except pencil/graphite/lead. And none of them made much difference.
    I've just tried to pencil trick and the film has never loaded easier. It was quick! And it's winter here, so sweat was never an issue lately.

Now I'm keen on trying to taping 2 x 120 rolls together and feeding them on the same reel. The pencil made a huge difference. Just as a side note I used a B2 pencil, since I thought that softer pencil should work better...

Shooter
    Medium Format

101 not enough...

Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    FWIW, I occasionally had problems if reels were not 101% dry, and particularly in warm conditions when hands were damp or perspiring (and. if you get agitated or flustered, hands get even moister). Light cotton photo gloves are a possibility.
    I see that you've practiced, but, for anyone who hasn't. it's worth trying with a scrap film, both in daylight then in the darkroom.
    (Apologies if that's all obvious).
    i loved the paterson reels and tanks... but if they weren't 120%+ dry, those little balls pushed forward and my thumbs in exactly the right spot, i was never gonna get my film loaded.
    i went all stainless and it was painless (had to do it - the pun). i don't remember it being difficult to learn. now i could load film in my sleep, blind folded, upside down, underwater with both my hands tied behind my back... errhh, well, maybe not underwater - but you get the idea. i also use less solutions with ss tank.

go for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i load a lot of problems loading 120 onto paterson reels until i started cutting the lead back and than nipping the corners off at about 45% and problem solved. you may want to take a ruined roll to practice in the daylight. warrenbruce

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well I dont have problems with 120 or 220 using Patterson reels in darkroom.

Id get stress marks in a cbag.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My problems was over when I start paying attension to the angle of the part of the rim where the small balls are. If the tangent of the rim there is pointing straight down, the film easy feed all way into the reel. Get it right from the start and let one of the hands hold grip continusly to be sure the hole thing not rotatate in your hands while rocking it back and forth. Another vision of the same- the film enter the reel at its intended point perfect tangential, and the gravity at the same time helps the small steelballs falling back to lock the film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Too old to care View Post
    My advice is just get some SS reels and practice. I hold the reel and the end of the film with my left hand to start/center it in the reel, holding the film roll in my right. i then move my left hand and fingers to gently curl the film as it starts to wind, drop the film from my right hand to let it hang free, and then use it to gently turn the reel while still guiding and curling it with the left. A bit of practice and you will never go back to plastic reels.

Wayne
    +1 i also tear off some of the paper before i start

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hear Hear

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin