Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,179   Online: 1159

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Zeiss Ikon Suoer Ikonta III and IV would fit the bill. Also, the Agfa Isolette III with either the Apotar or Solinar. The Agfas can suffer from pinholes in bellows and frozen focusing.

These are compact and reliable, although you should expect that any camera from the 1950s will require service.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A Balda Super Baldax would suit, Super Ikonta or Perkeo 2, If you can live without a coupled rangefinder the the Franka Solida II rf is a fine camera, this is a few from personal experiance, all are fairly small when folded and very light, and work fine
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just make sure that it uses 120 film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for all the suggestions which I will look into.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Agfa Super Isolette
    Or the identical Ansco version, the Super Speedex. A while ago I had a Super Isolette which was excellent. For some reason I sold it; I kicked myself for a couple of years over that stupid decision. Then a few years ago I found a Super Speedex with a locked up focus helical for a decent price. Got that sorted out myself. I'm not selling this version, even though I don't use it all the time.

These are definitely the best of the 6x6 folders.

The other folder with a coupled range finder I have used is the Zeiss Super Ikonta 532. It's an excellent camera, but a bit bulkier than the Super Speedex. It also has a fast f/2.8 lens. And they only shoot 11 frames on 120 film. Still highly recommended for the price. I'm tempted to sell mine since I haven't shot it in years, but for some reason I still hold onto it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    From the pointers you guys have given me and investigations so far, I'm warming to leaving out the rangefinder and going for a Perkeo II. I know this may not be the best choice in quality and I once owned a Super Ikonta, which gave me superb results. However, there is something about the look and size of the Perkeo which I find quite appealing. Any pointers and things to look out for with these? How do they feel to handle? They also seem to be more common in the USA than England.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's no denying the Perkeo II is a nice size, I own one that I use a fair amount. I have found I do well enough with estimate and set to leave an accessory rangefinder at home. I've probably messed up focus more often by getting absorbed in the moment and forgetting to do it at all!

I will note that while very compact, its weight is surprising, almost 1.25 pounds/545 grams -- not really heavy, but a sense of substance. Of course it dates back to when things were actually made of metal and glass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you ruled out the current modern GF670 dual-format folder?

Not quite as lightweight or compact as the vintage models. But in return one gets an in-production, supported camera where everything works correctly right out of the box, and can be expected to continue that way down the road. It has a sharp modern lens, beautiful viewfinder, excellent meter, and the rangefinder is a joy to use. And those two formats, for when the other one just feels better.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Have you ruled out the current modern GF670 dual-format folder?

Not quite as lightweight or compact as the vintage models. But in return one gets an in-production, supported camera where everything works correctly right out of the box, and can be expected to continue that way down the road. It has a sharp modern lens, beautiful viewfinder, excellent meter, and the rangefinder is a joy to use. And those two formats, for when the other one just feels better.

Ken
    Ken, I have never heard of a GF670 and so will check it out. Thanks for the post.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fujifilm GF670 Professional 6x7 Camera

Lots of other online references and descriptions available.

I also own one. If you have any offbeat questions, I'd be glad to answer.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin