Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,662   Online: 824

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Oh dear, when I started this post I was just thinking about getting an old folder as a bit of fun to use occasionally. Now Ken has introduced me to a GF670 and I am now re-thinking the whole concept. At that sort of price I would need to sell several of my existing cameras to pay for it, but would I then have an MF I could use like an M2? Decisions, decisions! I think I need more info about this GF670, in particular about how it’s viewfinder compares to the viewfinder of an M2.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want cheap and cheerful, try a Moskva 4 or 5. Soviet clone of a Zeiss Ikonta 6x9 rangefinder model. The 5 has the best rangefinder and the best lens- a 105mm Industar f3.5. It is switchable between 6x6 and 6x9 formats. For $150 +/-, hard to go wrong!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of the Welta Welturs would do you up brown. Uncoated optics are the only drawback. Usually cheaper than any of the other well-known vintage options, great viewfinders, built like tanks. Handy depth of field table on the top plate. I love all of mine. Some of the 6x6 and 6x9 models convert down to 6x4.5 with an insert as well, but that insert is the first thing to be lost to history.

--nosmok

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are very few options that fill all your requirements. If you accept modern options, I suggest the Fuji folders. My GS645 has a modern multicoated Planar, coupled RF, averaging meter, etc. It's great for travelling, that plus an Olympus XA covers normal and wide and they're tiny. They are not the most reliable things in the world, my first one would trip the shutter when folding up sometimes and it eventually had to be replaced. I got a warranty and highly recommend it. They are also fragile and cannot be forced, you MUST advance the film and reset the lens to infinity before the camera can be safely closed. The negative is only 6x4.5, but the cost is significantly less than the GF670 (I paid $375 for mine).

If you've got big bucks, there's the GF670, which gets you all the way up to 6x7, there's the Plaubel Makina, same, or the Mamiya 6 (not Six) has a collapsible lens.

If you're thinking vintage, Super Ikontas or a high end Voigtlander would be my recommendations. There's also TLRs, which are just a bit bigger. Love my Rolleiflex!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For light travel you have the Fujifilm Auto Focus GA645ZI. Loks like a toy, but it's not. Tack sharp Zoom
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Ikontas - particularly the half frame Ikonta 520. No need for a rangefinder unless you are going to be doing close-ups. Guesstimating distances is easy with very little practise and if you keep to f5.6 or smaller the depth of field will cover poor guesses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Impress the girls, hey ? go for simple:

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dacora_Digna
    1953; retro does it these days. I have the 1:8/80: cheap and light.
    no folding but pushing and no metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Dacora Digna. Makes Holga cameras look like advanced engineering!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    I have a Dacora Digna. Makes Holga cameras look like advanced engineering!
    So your 'story' isn't right; girls are not interested in technology!

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k.hendrik View Post
    Impress the girls, hey ? go for simple:

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dacora_Digna
    1953; retro does it these days. I have the 1:8/80: cheap and light.
    no folding but pushing and no metering.
    It's true that many girls are interested in retro cameras. Wear one around your neck and girls 17-30 will look at you, and maybe they'll give you compliments. In reality it's about your camera and not you, but you can pretend it's about you. That helped me through my midlife crisis.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin