Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 937

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys and in the end I bought a Zeiss Ikonta 520/16 6 x 6cm Camera with a 7.5cm f4.5 Carl Zeiss Tessar. It arrived this morning and I must say it is a beautiful little camera which seems in very good condition. I have already loaded it with a roll of FP4 and can’t wait to try it out. Can anyone who is use to using one of these give me any tips? Is it also possible to get a rubber lens hood to fit one of these, so I could fold it back to sit inside the folded camera when not in use?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the virtually identical 521/16. It has a Novar instead of the Tessar and I believe you have a flash sync that is missing on the 521. I carry it around almost daily, folded up in my pocket.

The hood to fit your specs might not exist. You would either have to find one to fit the Series ring (probably a #6), or a Series adapter for a screw-on filter. Anything made out of rubber to fit a series ring probably rotted away long ago, and who knows if such an adapter has ever been made. Either way it would be pretty tight to fit inside when folded up - these things are marvelously engineered for compactness. I have seen metal lens shades for Series, so they do exist. If you want to use any filters,you'll just have to get used to carrying them separately.

What is you fastest shutter speed? Mine is 1/250 and I have found a happy spot with Tmax-400 and an orange or red filter. You may get more contrast with the Tessar and not find any filtering necessary.

Have fun with it, man. It's the most fun camera I own.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Can anyone who is use to using one of these give me any tips?
    Yeah: Go forth and shoot!

I don't really think there's much to say beyond that. Get used to sunny 16 metering and guessing distance (the DOF scale, which I believe your camera has, is your friend), and enjoy having medium format in your pocket.

Also, 6x6 contact prints can be really lovely. Alas, you don't find a lot of frames in that size any more, except for crummy little dollar-store jobs.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While you got yours and should be very happy about it, I'll add another one to the list just for any body else looking.
    Zeiss Ercona, 6x6/6x9 with 105f3.5 tessar. Going to put my first roll through it this weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    While you got yours and should be very happy about it, I'll add another one to the list just for any body else looking.
    Zeiss Ercona, 6x6/6x9 with 105f3.5 tessar. Going to put my first roll through it this weekend.
    Indeed! I didn't mention the Ercona earlier because it's not as compact as a 6x6, but I have an Ercona II with the CZJ Tessar and it's quite impressive -- although at only eight shots to the roll, film disappears fast!

I don't have the 6x6 mask for it, but then, for 6x6 I do have the Perkeo II (and the Yashica TLR, and the Bronica ...).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks guys and pbromaghin my fastest shutter speed is 1/500. When I loaded the FP4 yesterday I set the aperture to f8 and the shutter to 1/100. I figure with the light conditions here at the moment that should be fine. However, the first shot I took yesterday, I forgot to focus. I will have to get use to guessing the distance. I do have a small rangefinder, but it is in metres. However, I don't really want to carry lots of extra stuff round with me, hood, filters, rangefinder, as part of the joy about using this is the minimal compactness. The Zen photography bit again.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin