Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,712   Online: 781

Shooter
    35mm RF

Looking for some assistance with my new Rolfix

I just purchased an absolutely mint Franka Rolfix, (stamped on its leatherette is "Simpson's", plus "Made in Germany US-Zone") and am anxiously awaiting its arrival in my mailbox. It has a Schneider-Kreuznack Radionar f/4.5 lens, an 8-speed (plus "B") Prontor-S shutter, and simple pop-up viewfinder. I have been assured that this camera is in perfect working order, and I can easily glean from the seller's many detailed photos that its appearance is completely flawless. I can hardly wait to add this beautiful camera to my collection, and to start using it for capturing my Newfoundland landscapes.

I have owner's manuals for each and every vintage camera I own... except for this one! I have already spent hours searching online for a copy, to no avail. Yes, a few enterprising people out there are asking princely sums for an original manual, but I'd be quite content with a photocopy of one. So, first and foremost, I am interested in hearing from any of you who may own or be intimately familiar with this model, as before I start shooting I would like to learn of any tips/suggestions you may have. And secondly, I would be eternally grateful to anyone who may be kind enough to scan their owner's manual and email it to me. (I will happily pay you for your time)

This is my fifth medium format folder. I also own a Franka Solida 1, Voigtlander Perkeo 1, Ensign Ranger, and a 1917 Kodak Autographic 1A that I recently adapted to accommodate 120 film. (all are in pristine condition)

I am looking forward to connecting with my fellow Rolfix owners!

Thanks,
    Glen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure why you would need a manual for a simple roll film camera. Load it w/ film, close the back, advance the film and line up the 1 in the red window, set the aperture and shutter by your meter reading, set the distance, cock the shutter, frame the shot, and then release the shutter. Advance to the number 2, and repeat everything 11 times. Remove the film, load it into the tank, and develop it. Then print it. Success!

The only tips I have are to be careful to load the film straight initially, and when you advance the film to the next number, don't advance it quite all the way. When you're ready to shoot, then slowly advance the film that next little bit to center the number on the film's backing paper in your red window (this keeps the film taut and flat for sharp shots).
    Last edited by momus; 07-09-2013 at 01:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes momus, I do realize that it is an easy camera to operate, but I simply was wanting to ensure that every camera in my collection has a proper owner's manual. Thankfully, I just received one from a very kind member over at RFF. Thank-you for your tips; very much appreciated!
    Glen
    Last edited by camperbc; 07-09-2013 at 09:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've been bedridden these past few weeks, but I got outside today for a bit and took this photo of my lovely "new" Franka Rolfix. It is in perfect working order, and cosmetically is every bit as immaculate as the day it was made, some 66 years ago. This is the 30th camera in my ever-growing collection.
    (taken at the shoreline in front of my Fogo Island home)

Glen

My 1947 Franka Rolfix Medium Format Folder par Focus On Newfoundland, on ipernity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent photos! Keep looking for manual.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Glen, Mike Butkus' valuable site has a manual for the Rolfix that you can download:
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rolfix/rolifix.htm
    Looks like the Rolfix was marketed in the US by Montgomery Ward under its own name.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PS -- Since you're in Canada, your camera was probably sold by Simpson's, the old Canadian department store that is no more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I'm not sure why you would need a manual for a simple roll film camera. Load it w/ film, close the back, advance the film and line up the 1 in the red window, set the aperture and shutter by your meter reading, set the distance, cock the shutter, frame the shot, and then release the shutter. Advance to the number 2, and repeat everything 11 times. Remove the film, load it into the tank, and develop it. Then print it. Success!.
    His camera takes 8 exp. 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 in. Oops 6X9 in Canada. There are 2 red windows on the back. One is for 12 exp. and the other is for the 8 exp. If you don't have the mask t hat fits in there do not use the window in the center. Us the one closest to the edge. I believe you said you did not have the mask. The 105mm lens is a short tele on the square format. I don't think I still have my manual. I will look tomorrow.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi all, I was able to find a manual. Thank-you everyone for your assistance and comments; very much appreciated. As you can imagine, I'm chomping at the bit to get out and try this fine camera. I will let you know when I have done so, and of course will post my results here.

Many thanks again!

Glen

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin