Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,538   Online: 1180

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    I'm really confused. You say it is better to store the Hassy with a shutter under tension and cocked? I thought it was better to store mechanical shutters untensioned. Why would the Hassy be different?
    I know what you're saying is logical, but I the reason is that the mechanism springs loosen or become sloppy over time if left without tension. In the case of Hassies, the repair techs I've asked about that in either Fairfield or Santa Monica when it was there, advised me to keep the camera cocked. You could double check by calling their relocated service center in Union, NJ and here's the scoop on that:
    Hasselblad USA Tech Support and Service Center
    1080A Garden State Road
    Union, NJ 07083
    Main: 1-800-367-6434

I leave all my camera bodies cocked Nikon F2AIs, Leica and Hasselblad alike. And on my 4x5 gear, I keep the Copal shutters cocked when not in use as well. Never had a problem.

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does it matter if the shutter speed is changed with the shutter cocked or not on a SWC 903?
    The only camera I've heard that about is the Kiev 88, which was a focal-plane shutter with the speed-setting on the wind-crank. Probably applies to the Hassy 1000 and 1600 which the kiev ripped-off. Not sure about the 2000-series hassies, they probably fixed the problem by then.
    But as stated, an SWC you should be fine.

And if you're going to get into the 'should I store it cocked or uncocked?' you may as well ask 'should I use a UV filter?', there'll be just as much debate...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About this there is no debate. Hasselblad has always advised keeping all cameras and lenses cocked, especially when they are stored. That is not necessarily true with other cameras.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm really confused. You say it is better to store the Hassy with a shutter under tension and cocked? I thought it was better to store mechanical shutters untensioned. Why would the Hassy be different?
    hi there

i dont' have a hassy, nor have i used them ..
    but with regards to storage ..
    a well respected camera repair man, tinkerer, prince of a guy and cyclopedia of knowledge
    by the name of steve grimes ( you may see his name in banner ads here
    for the shop which still bears his name ) said ( for copal and other/ large format shutters )
    it doesn't matter one way or another if they are stored cocked or slack ...
    he worked on nearly every kind of shutter made and knew his stuff ...

perhaps if he were alive he would chime in this thread and suggest the same thing
    ( or maybe it is different for swedish shutters and you need to store them cocked and have a slice of wasa toast .. )

steve had moxie too ..

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can confirm that Hasselblad lenses should always be stored cocked, the spring will not suffer. It is much more likely that damage would occur if the tension was released and then recocked before fitting to a camera and there is always the chance that an attempt may be made to fit an uncocked lens.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Fairbank View Post
    I can confirm that Hasselblad lenses should always be stored cocked, the spring will not suffer. It is much more likely that damage would occur if the tension was released and then recocked before fitting to a camera and there is always the chance that an attempt may be made to fit an uncocked lens.
    Hi Doug !
    To be clear, I think you meant to say ". . . if the tension was released and NOT recocked before [attempting] fitting it to a camera" and that could damage both the lens and the body mechanisms.

Of course, even if you store them cocked like in the case or bag, there's always a chance that they could trip, say from being moved around or bumped so it's best to always check both body and lens before trying to reattach one to the other.
    Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin