Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,631   Online: 810

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Question about changing shutter speed on Hasselblad

Does it matter if the shutter speed is changed with the shutter cocked or not on a SWC 903?

Some cameras like the Widelux say it is better to change speed with a cocked shutter. I was told view cam lenses lasted longer if you changed shutter speed before it was cocked. What do Hasselblads prefer?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I could be nuts, (that's besides the point, however) but the 38mm Biogon? SWC lens is where you adjust the shutter speed whereas the body shutter, I believe, operates at only one speed. So the answer is changing the shutter speed on the lens, once both the lens and body are cocked, should make no difference and cause no problems.

As an aside to that, over the years I've been told by Hassie repair techs that the camera body should always be stored with the shutter in the cocked position as the lens while of course checking both to ensure they are both cocked before attaching or trying to detach a lens.
    Take it light ;>)
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    +1 for what Mark said.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hasselblad used up their 3 "quirk" strikes when they made us ensure lenses and bodies were cocked to avoid jams, made the back unaware of body status (ie. an unwound body will advance an unexposed frame in a film back, some other cams prevent this), and made us slip the paper leader under that little metal clip on the pressure plate when loading film. They couldn't ask us to change shutter speed only when the lens is cocked too...

I'm not knocking them, I adore my Hasselblads, they got moxy.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Chris Lange;1520621]. . . and made us slip the paper leader under that little metal clip on the pressure plate when loading film. They couldn't ask us to change shutter speed only when the lens is cocked too...

You're right Chris. I HATE that !!! But then again, I suppose getting rid of my Hassies because of that feature would be like tossing the baby out with the bath water.
    Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm really confused. You say it is better to store the Hassy with a shutter under tension and cocked? I thought it was better to store mechanical shutters untensioned. Why would the Hassy be different?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in reality the shutters won't be affected, unless you store it for a REALLY long time. As long as the works are exercised once in a while, there won't be a problem. Easier to cycle the shutter once a month on all speeds and leave it cocked than to leave it uncocked, forget, and jam the camera when you pair a cocked body with an uncocked lens.

--

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, I see.

I got a 903SWC, so the lens removal is not an issue. But good to know about the removable lens variety.

I looked at your work Chris. Very Impressive! I saved 2 of your shots to put in my guest photog portfolio. Will put your name on the files. I show them around when I have a people over that are interested in photography.

A few notes...

1) 'Gansevoort' has lots of dust on the image. Needs spotting. I didn't look at em all for dust, but check them out.

2) When I saved your 2 pix i noticed your name is not on them. You may wish to change the file names. I use this format.

"Photo Title Copyright 2013 My Name"

That way if somneone saves your pix they have the author. Sure somone can remove it. But if your work is around the web a Google image search will lead to the author.
    Last edited by Iluvmycam; 07-10-2013 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Widelux, Hasselblad 503 and Hasselblad 903. Widelux must have the shutter cocked before changing the speed. The Hasselblads do not care whether of not the shutter is cocked before the shutter speed is changed.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    OK, I see.

I got a 903SWC, so the lens removal is not an issue. But good to know about the removable lens variety.

I looked at your work Chris. Very Impressive! I saved 2 of your shots to put in my guest photog portfolio. Will put your name on the files. I show them around when I have a people over that are interested in photography.

A few notes...

1) 'Gansevoort' has lots of dust on the image. Needs spotting. I didn't look at em all for dust, but check them out.

2) When I saved your 2 pix i noticed your name is not on them. You may wish to change the file names. I use this format.

"Photo Title Copyright 2013 My Name"

That way if somneone saves your pix they have the author. Sure somone can remove it. But if your work is around the web a Google image search will lead to the author.
    Much appreciated for the kind words! I never really upload final work to the APUG galleries, hence the random file names...I also usually embed my copyright info and contact data in the metadata for the files.

Thanks for the tip on the dust, that version of it is an old print scan, the updated version on my website is spotless...my subscription lapsed about 2 months ago, and being a recent grad, haven't gotten around to renewing it yet...

--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin