Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,881   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Agfa Ansco Viking 7.7

A while back, I acquired this 6x9 folder and have yet to use it. I'm tempted to buy a roll of 120 on a 620 spool to shoot with and to reuse the spool since I already have plenty of 120 film and another 620 spool. I'd like to know what kind of photos this takes though before I go ahead and do that, but I haven't been able to find any photos taken with this model of camera. Can anyone help me out?

Here it is in all it's glory. Or lack-there-of, depending on how the photos turn out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.448477475_1z42.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	71434
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe this takes 120 film - not 620.

As I understand it, PB20 was Ansco's designation for 120.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I read the page on "Camera-Wiki" and it says the same thing, but when you look at PB20 on the same website or on any other page, it says it's 620 film. All evidence aside, I have tried putting some Kodak TMAX-100 120 film in there and it didn't fit. Too big.
    Check out my website!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Man, that thing looks like a real sweetie pie. Get out there and shoot that beauty.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's in scary good condition too. The only blemish on the thing whatsoever is a barely noticeable rust mark under where the viewfinder sits. There was no dust outside or inside the camera, all the chrome is shiny, all the leather looks as new as the day as the camera was made, and the glass looks to be completely clear all the way though. No scratches, no nothing.

Edit: Under closer inspection, it turns out the rust mark was just a spot of dirt which quickly came off. Looks like it came right out of production.
    Check out my website!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a similar camera - an Ansco Viking 6.3 - which does take 120 film.

Mine too is in apparently beautiful condition, except it needs to be serviced, because the lubricant in it has dried up.

So I cannot show you any photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Viking 63.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    I miss those red boxes of film next to the yellow ones at the drug store, where the flashbulbs,pipes, tobacco, and candy were at the big front counter. All those neat cameras like that in the glass case register counter. Nowadays the drugstores don't have doodly squat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very nice! I recently acquired a nice working Universal Roamer 2 that shoots 120 or 620. In 6X9.
    The results are excellent photo's. I think you will have fun w/ it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	july 010.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	362.3 KB 
ID:	71461
    It is 100mm f4.5, top speed 200. I think they are a real sleeper. Bellows are very good and it's a lot of fun.
    Last edited by 2bits; 07-12-2013 at 01:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you want to know what kind of photos it will take?

If you are a lousy photographer it will take lousy pictures. If you are a good photographer it will take good photos. Other than that, there's no way to know until you go shoot. Any quirks due to its lens being old are minor to insignificant when compared to your ability (or lack thereof) to judge light, composition and exposure.

So go take pictures and have fun. I bet you anything the camera will do a terrific job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Viking is also a 6.3 that takes 120. It's a decent basic folder with a triplet lens, and it seems to keep the dark in effectively (unlike many Agfa folders---I think the Vikings might have had more robust bellows material than some other models).

The lens on the 6.3 models seems always to be labelled "Agnar Anastigmat", on the 7.7 models just "Anastigmat". I don't know if that's an actual difference in the lens design or just a change of labelling, but as far as I can tell, the 6.3 models are German-made (Agfa) and the 7.7 models US-made (Ansco).

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin