Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,265   Online: 781

Shooter
    35mm RF

Hasselblad A12 Winding Issue

Just purchased a Hasselblad 500c/m with A12 back. Was working just fine and then out of nowhere I was having troubles with the back. The film advance knob on the A12 keeps winding and winding but it's not advancing the frame counter. The '0' is half visible and stuck, and the window right next to it is neither white or red. When mated to the 500c/m (I have the 500 cocked before I place the A12 on) it fires; however, I am then unable to wind the film advance knob on the 500 again and I can't fire the shutter release as the colored dots on the 500 and A12 are not in sync. Any idea what the issue could be?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The winding mech has jammed, possibly a broken spring but the symptoms could be caused by several things. Budget for 80gbp +parts for a full service including light trap.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time for a CLA.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ahhhh... good times. Thanks guys.

About to drop it off with my repairman now. That's what I get for purchasing my dream camera I guess!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You would get that with any camera that you would buy.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flite View Post
    Just purchased a Hasselblad 500c/m with A12 back. Was working just fine and then out of nowhere I was having troubles with the back. The film advance knob on the A12 keeps winding and winding but it's not advancing the frame counter. The '0' is half visible and stuck, and the window right next to it is neither white or red. When mated to the 500c/m (I have the 500 cocked before I place the A12 on) it fires; however, I am then unable to wind the film advance knob on the 500 again and I can't fire the shutter release as the colored dots on the 500 and A12 are not in sync. Any idea what the issue could be?
    My initial though is if it's from a dealer tell them to give you another A-12 mag. If it's a private party, tell them to either get you another back or go back and tell them to take the back back...Jack. My second thought about this, if you can remove the mag from the body, is to test fire the body multiple times and advance or recock it and see if it happens without the mag on the body. That will help you isolate the problem to one or the other. If while the mag is attached, as you wind it it kicks the mag back slightly from the body, it's a gearing problem on the mag or the rear of the body. If it winds and sticks without kickback, it's in the winding mechanism itself on the body. Another way to test just the mag is wind it without attaching to the back. See if it feels smooth, with and without the darkslide in place and look to see if the flange on the rt. side of the mag that's turned by the body, stops in the same position each time you advance the magazine winder.. Sacrifice a roll of film and check the spacing with each frame advanced. Each frame should be about the same.

If it's just the mag, for example David Odess http://www.david-odess.com/repair.html charges $90 to CLA an A-12. If it's the bod, $195. OTOH, a replacement/additional mag at KEH that comes with a reasonable warranty and replacement runs anywhere from $39 to $235. http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Med...c=80970&r=WG&f

Spare mags are always really good to have as you've just discovered and gone are the days when used ones cost nearly as much as new. If you're on your own and have a repair shop in mind, I'd send the whole rig in for CLA. I say that because it's possibly the body gearing.

If you look at the back of the body, on the right you'll see the gear mechanism that couples with the mag. If that gearing is worn it'll cause the mag to either jam or skip frames. Just the same as worn gears on the mag will cause the body to jam. Hard to isolate even test firing and cocking the body without a spare mag that you know is good.

Nonetheless, welcome to the party. I'm sorry this happened to you right out of the gate. It's a truly great piece of equipment and actually remarkably durable. It's probably an easy fix but the labor is awfully pricey and don't try this at home. Light traps are easy. Mag and body gearing is a little different.

Take it light ;>)
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Feldstein; 07-14-2013 at 03:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For those having the same problem, I offer a couple of other things you can check. First note that on the 500c/m an A-12 partially used properly loaded magazine will show part red/white in the window on the mag. If you remove the mag and wind the body if it's cocked it'll show white. If you can't get that indicator, you've likely got a problem with the camera body winding mechanism.

If your magazine isn't properly loaded and the take-up spool is just freewheeling OR if the film is loaded backwards, the frame counter will not show you it's advanced to frame #1 but will remain blank. Remember the take up spool is in the top of the mag, the film is loaded in the bottom and reversed to pull over the front of the mag and under the edge retention flap. OR remove the film holder after you fully open the locking mechanism on the mag. That allows the film counter to reset and then reload it without film, hang it on the back and remove the dark slide and see what happens.

Also check your serial numbers on the magazine. While all A-12 mags and inserts look alike they aren't. The 3 numbers on the film insert itself should match the last 3 digits of the mag film holder. These are matched at the factory. Mis-matched film inserts can cause minor difficulties in advancing frames and sometimes dealers accidentally switch them.

You can manually cock the shutter by opening the two curtains at the rear of the body, finding the larger slot at the bottom front of the body and taking a long screwdriver, turn that slot to the right until the red on the slot aligns with the red dot on the body.

Also double check to make sure your mirror isn't locked up.
    M.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin