Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,244   Online: 859

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went back to using TLRs 25 years after my Mamiya C3 & C33 were stolen. Initially I was using a Yashicamat 124 and found it great fun to use and I like the square format, it's my pick up and go camera in Turkey.

I'd had a Rolleiflex in a drawer for some years which was faulty and unusable, ironically just through lack of use as the lubricants had dried out so I had it serviced, a great camera but still mint after 52 years so I'm reluctant to use it

More recently I've bought an MPP Microord, essentially a British made Rolleicord III with an excellent Ross Xpres lens, they aren't too expensive £80-£110 ($130-$170) I'd planned to use it as my main TLR in the UK however aI stumbled on a good Rolleiflex Automat for £75 ($115) at a Flea market in May and it's now my main user TLR in the UK.

TLR's aren't that expensive if you're patient, I saw an excellent Autocord for £80 ($125) on Sunday and there were plenty of reasonbly priced Yashica and Rolleiflex cameras.

As for weight/bulk I use mine alongside my LF cameras and I don't find them a problem at all.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I Priviledged to own two Rollei's , a 3.5F and a T model. They are not over sized and not heavy at all to take out and do street photography. And talk about razor sharp images. The first roll I shot when I got them, I was completly blown away. But like other chimed in and said.. the Yashica mat 635 and the original 124 do a wonderful job too. I have a bad habit on going with something less expensive and not being completly satisfied with it. So when it came to searching for a TLR camera, I went with best brand. That's my two cents.

ToddB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yet another vote for the Rollei. I am beyond in love with my twin twins (I have a pair of 2.8E Planar Rolleiflexes). They're not cheap, and if they need servicing, the service is not cheap either. But when you consider that the cost can be amortized over the next 50 years of ownership, they only cost a couple dollars a year to own. If you are both patient and lucky, you can get a 2.8 Rolleiflex for under $600, although it will almost certainly need something in the service department. For slightly less, you can get a Rolleiflex T or a 3.5 that needs nothing, although the 3.5 models have been rising in price lately. There's just something about a Rolleiflex though, the way it handles, and the way the lens renders images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a nice looking Rolleicord on sale here for $280.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    Ok, so I'm rocking on my RB67 these days. Really loving being back in film and loving the 120 format.
    But...the thing is such a brick its no good for carrying around/casual shooting/informal family shots.
    CASUAL ! Watch those pics of Mr. Mark Meijer Disfarmer! Stick to your RB and shoot informally your family

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It does NOT get any easier than the Fuji GA645. That must be the lightest fully automated 120 format camera around. Holds and handles like a point and shoot. Beyond easy to carry and work with.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    Ok, so I'm rocking on my RB67 these days. Really loving being back in film and loving the 120 format.

But...the thing is such a brick its no good for carrying around/casual shooting/informal family shots. Makes me think I might want to add something else that is more suitable.

So, whatcha recommend?

I like the mojo of the TLR. I'm curious though, the Rollei cameras are going for a hefty premium to the others. Is there a functional reason for that, or is that just "collector value"?
    Just checked ebay and it seems that they are selling for more than new price. I meant the Plaubel Makina 67. Compact and shoot 6x7. Fixed lens though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My vote for a Rolleiflex also.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad is much smaller and lighter.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On holiday recently my carry-around camera was a Hasselblad 500C/M with Planar 80mm and PME finder. It weighs less than 4lbs (just). My wife's handbag weighs about 4lbs so I figure if she can carry 4lbs on her shoulder, so can I. Of course, it has nothing to do with the neck trouble I'm having at the moment...

I think one of the Fuji GA series might be my next purchase.

(The Hasselblad would be a lot lighter without the prism finder, of course, but I find the prism makes it easier to use hand-held.)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin