Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,430   Online: 775

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'll put in a vote for a camera that hasn't been mentioned yet..

Fuji GF670.

I bought one just under a year ago and have been absolutely in love with it.
    It's extremely light (1Kg or so) and ultra compact (when collapsed, though it's no bigger than a hassleblad or rollei when open either. Just a different form factor). Allows for 6x6 and 6x7 shooting with the flick of a switch (I've set it for 6x7 and left it there). Beautifully sharp lens (some complain about the bokeh, I have yet to be bothered by it). The internal meter has been perfectly accurate ALWAYS, no matter how tricky conditions prove to be. I'm still trying to understand how this can be..
    Wisper silent and delicate shutter. I frequently shoot handheld at speeds as low 1/30 with no problem. With a bit more care and technique 1/15 and 1/8 can still yields sharp results.
    And if you're looking for a wow factor as a conversation starter, look no further than a folder... Nothing screams old camera like a bellows. The hardest thing about it, is when you try explain how it's actually a somewhat new camera, and have people look at you like you're a lier.
    Though it's not the cheapest skiff in the marina.. It's no exotic 50 foot yacht either.

ONLY DEFECT is it has a fixed lens.. but thats why I'm saving up to buy the wide angle version!
    Last edited by Ambar; 07-16-2013 at 06:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if you like a tLR rollei's are wonderful ..

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    So, whatcha recommend?
    There is no more walk-aroundable MF camera than the gf670.

It's compact. It's sharp. It shoots The One True Format (66) as well as The Also Pretty Good Format (67). It's got a meter that actually works properly. It's fast to focus. It's whisper quiet. It's handholdable at ridiculously low shutter speeds. It's sexy as hell and always manages to attract attention (this is sometimes a drawback).

It's hotness personified.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbeare View Post

It's hotness personified.
    Haha! Agreed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    It does NOT get any easier than the Fuji GA645. That must be the lightest fully automated 120 format camera around. Holds and handles like a point and shoot. Beyond easy to carry and work with.
    I agree! I took mine to Italy on planes, trains, automobiles, walking, everywhere. It fits in my shoulder bag and is so convenient. Every shot in every roll was right on. Notes? It imprints all the technical info on the 120 film along the side of the frame. Focal length, film exposure, date, time, what's for lunch etc..

I just can't recommend it more! It's fun to use too!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a first taste of the TLR and Rollei I suggest a Rolleicord. I have one and love it as a walking around 120. It takes no time to get use to the clunkiness of separate film winding and shutter cocking. The results are softer than modern optics, but nicely so. It is so damn quiet that no one notices that their picture is being taken. I preset the focus zone and will use a short cable release when I want to be covert, but it is hard to be invisible with a TLR hanging from your neck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lots of ideas here!

Quick question: In poking around, I found the Agfa Isolette. Looks interesting...but how do you focus those?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Periodically I get too tired to be lugging around a medium format camera or even a bag with a 35mm body and a couple of lenses. I highly recommend taking a look at an Olympus point and shoot like say this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-35-D...item3a82ffceff

which is actually the one I carry in a belt pouch not much bigger than a cell phone. The images on a 40mm Zuiko are fabulous and it's great for street shots, portraits, scenics, and family stuff. Works well, fast, sharp as a tack and a snap to use.
    M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    Lots of ideas here!

Quick question: In poking around, I found the Agfa Isolette. Looks interesting...but how do you focus those?
    Unless it has acoupled rangefinder, you need to guess the distsnce, then set the lens. If you're no good ay guessing distances, you can get an accessory rangefinder.

You could look at one of the folders with a coupled rangefinder, such as the Agfa Super Isolette, Zeiss Super Ikonta, Mamiya Six, Certo Six, etc. If you want something more modern, the Fuji 667, or one of their 6x4.5 cameras would be worth a look. Other options to consider are the modern Mamiya RFs (6 or 7) or Bronica RF645.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    +1 for Hasselblad with waist level finder and 80mm planar. I own this setup and it is nice to carry around provided you have a nice thick neck / shoulder strap. Something like this.... http://optechusa.com/super-pro-strap.html

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin