Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,901   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"Walking around" 120?

Ok, so I'm rocking on my RB67 these days. Really loving being back in film and loving the 120 format.

But...the thing is such a brick its no good for carrying around/casual shooting/informal family shots. Makes me think I might want to add something else that is more suitable.

So, whatcha recommend?

I like the mojo of the TLR. I'm curious though, the Rollei cameras are going for a hefty premium to the others. Is there a functional reason for that, or is that just "collector value"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can sense a difference in feel (build quality), and a Leica somehow feels "better" than say, a Minolta 35mm SLR, then you may sense the same difference in feel between a Rolleiflex and the other tlr's.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    TLR's can make great lightweight medium format tools and I very much recommend them. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a cheaper Yashica or the Minolta TLR's.

I am also a fan of the Fuji Medium Format rangefinders and even the more automated GA645's. They are designed for quicker snapshot type work and yet still yield a nice large and sharp negative. I carry my GA645zi around for hours at a time and hardly notice it.

If you want something more old school you can also try the old Agfa folders. They fold up really small and are very easy to get fixed up and repaired into very usable and high quality cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    rolleiflex or yashica TLR. I like the automat tessar rolleiflex's. $300-500 for a real nice camera. It's a 3.5 which is much less expensive than a 2.8, which is the more collectible heftier premium version. Sorta like a 427 corvette has immense value over a normal 1960's corvette, but they are both real nice to collect or use and likely differ little in day to day use.

They do go for a slight premium over Yashicas ($100-300), but either brand you can resell for what you paid if it doesn't work out. Rollei has some collector value, but the Yashicas aren't junk either and do a great job as long as you get the 4-element lens versions.

Not that it makes a bit of difference in the final images, but some of the rolleis have more chrome than some of the newer yashicas, though both had plenty of chrome early on. This counts for some mojo when interacting with people "walking around"; don't underestimate the charm of lugging a TLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zeiss Ikon Ikonta 520 or Nettar 515 both fold very small (pocket size) and give a 60 by 45 mm negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As well as a Rolleiflex, I use a Perkeo ll, a very compact 6x6 folding camera.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Definitely check out TLRs. I have a Rolleiflex Automat and a Yashicamat, an the Rollei feels a lot nicer... if you get one of the 3.5 models, they can be had quite reasonably. Factor in the price of a CLA, as it is likely to need it.

It's still not a 'small' camera, but it is a lot more usable than a folder. I don't like them much for tripod use and the fixed focal length is kind of a bummer, but luckily you already have a great SLR to compliment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you like the "toy" camera aesthetic, you might take a look at the plastic Debonair camera sold by the Film Photography Project. $20, and includes a roll of cold-stored expired film. It shoots 6x4.5, and really is a lot of fun - not to mention about as lightweight as you can get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For an inexpensive TLR, try a Yashica (Yashicas don't have meters, Yashicamats do), or the all-American Ciroflex brand, whose cameras were inelegant but good sturdy workhorses if you find one in good shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My walkin' around MF is my Mamiya 6 folder(pre 1950 mfg). Very unique camera, the RF operates the film plane for focus, awsome little 6x6. BTW, its for sale.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...amiya-6-a.html
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin