Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,918   Online: 984

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Livingston Camera in Livingston, NJ.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll second what Mark said - talk to your current lab and see if there's anything that can speed things up. Failing that, I've been very happy with the speed of thedarkroom.com and the scans have been good.

One sad note - my local lab seems indifferent to whether they are used or not. Their support for film is as low as possible while still making some money from it. There are great film people there, but the management is pro digital. You may get the shrug from your current lab, and if so, remember there are still film folks who want your business. I tried thedarkroom.com because they are an APUG supporter and because I can't develop my own APS film. They have pleased me greatly.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I'll second what Mark said - talk to your current lab and see if there's anything that can speed things up. Failing that, I've been very happy with the speed of thedarkroom.com and the scans have been good.

One sad note - my local lab seems indifferent to whether they are used or not. Their support for film is as low as possible while still making some money from it. There are great film people there, but the management is pro digital. You may get the shrug from your current lab, and if so, remember there are still film folks who want your business. I tried thedarkroom.com because they are an APUG supporter and because I can't develop my own APS film. They have pleased me greatly.
    First off, thanks to all for the help. I have a great list of labs to work with now.

To address what both Mark and Wolfeye mentioned, I DID email both the Customer Service and Mail Order departments at Photoworks. I told them I was OK with their turnaround time but not with the mail service. I pointed out they spent $6.95 to send my prints back regular mail in THEIR padded envelope when they could have spent $5.70 (with an on line account) and get the padded envelope for FREE from the Post Office. They could have made another $2.05 in profit (figuring $0.80 for the padded envelope) and I would have had my pics 4 days faster.

Usually when you tell a business how to boost their profit margin 10% (on my $20 order) and improve customer satisfaction at the same time they are glad to hear it. However, I sent my email July 13th and have not received a response. Maybe the issue is what Wolfeye mentioned in the last part of his message, they see the big profit in digital and only tolerate film as a way to keep employees busy between digital orders. That may explain why my film spent 3 days in-house, not exactly bad but not exactly industry leading either. But thanks to all of you I've got plenty of options now!
    Canon EOS 20D; Canon EF-S 18-55/4-5.6, Tamron Aspherical 28-200/3.8-5.6, Helios 44M 58/2.0 w/EOS chipped adapter

Konica T3, T3N, T4, FT-1 Motor; Konica Hexanon AR 21/4, 24/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.7, 57/1.2 (5!), 85/1.8, 100/2.8, 135/3.5, 200/4, Zoom Hexanon 28-135/4-4.6, 80-200/4, Macro Hexanon 55/3.5, Teleconverter AR 2X, Super Lentar 35/2.8, Pheonix 500/8 Mirror

Mamiya RB67 Pro SD; Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.5 KL, 127mm f/3.5 KL; Waist Level Finder; Prism Finder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by houdel View Post
    First off, thanks to all for the help. I have a great list of labs to work with now.

Usually when you tell a business how to boost their profit margin 10% (on my $20 order) and improve customer satisfaction at the same time they are glad to hear it. However, I sent my email July 13th and have not received a response. Maybe the issue is what Wolfeye mentioned in the last part of his message, they see the big profit in digital and only tolerate film as a way to keep employees busy between digital orders. That may explain why my film spent 3 days in-house, not exactly bad but not exactly industry leading either. But thanks to all of you I've got plenty of options now!
    I totally agree and I know they are glad to hear those things. Problem is you want to make sure you get it to the right person. If I have a suggestion that might benefit either the lab or me or both, I just do an end-run on customer service and get it to either the owner of the lab or the manager and let it flow downhill from there.

I should also mention if you ship back and forth to labs regularly, it makes it soooooooooooooo much easier to have something like a UPS, DHL and/or Fed-Ex account. Small biz owners can benefit from big discounts on regular accounts. They come and go like clockwork. For UPS, if you're on a regular pick-up schedule, I hang a reversible sign in the window that says UPS YES or NO on the back side. 2 Day afternoon delivery air UPS in my mind is actually cheaper than priority mail. Check around for shipping deals then have the lab bill your account or send them return shipping labels. That should definitely speed things up.
    Mark
    M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by houdel View Post
    Got to give you a lot of respect for that, processing color is not easy. As a teen I used to process B&W in the bathroom of my parents house, but that was a half century ago. I never did color, too complex for me at the time. Plus it was too time consuming, we only had one bathroom & my parents wouldn't let me tie up the bathroom that long. Any color labs left in GR?
    with a jobo, it's all easy.
    yes. I haven't used them though. I assume they're still practicing some work in the dark.
    http://www.alliedphoto.com/content/f...oping-scanning
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccl@yahoo.com View Post
    www.thedarkroom.com

I get about 1 week turnaround. Once processed, pick up digital images on-line.

Jim
    I've been pleased with them also. If you're going to make prints, get the hi-res scan. Costs a little more, but worth it.
    The other one that I like is Bison Photo http://www.bisonphoto.com/
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i use ncps in southern cal. for all my color and will develop the film and do a high res. scan onto a cd. if you mail it in and they get it before four p.m. it will get done overnight and go out in the next days mail. they are very good and do all of hollywoods film shoots as well as ad copy and treats everybody the same. warrenbruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i live in texas and have had rolls of film sent out in the mornings mail and got it back two days later, they are faster than the local labs and cheaper and more consistent too warrenbruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Miller's Professional Imaging is great. They are about $8 a roll for process, print, and scan to CD of a 120 12exp roll. They also give free return overnight shipping. It is a really great service and the quality is top notch. www.millerslab.com
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm in the UK, and am coming to the conclusion the best way is to do your own processing. (at least for b&w & colour neg). Labs here are getting increasingly expensive and turn around times longer.
    You don't need much equipment for home precessing, and the money spent would soon be recouped on saved lab charges.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin