Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,275   Online: 930

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    I guess you have not seen any "Pro" labs dip and dunk runs of late, especially in our area - with those results i would take a minilab roller transport machine, that has not been cleaned in years any day over a "pro service" dip and muck machine.
    ooooh let me guess: You're a disgruntled film shooter doing the digital two step these days. But you're kidding right? Are you running your own lab? Are you working for one? Or are you just processing your own film in mucked up equipment? STOP THAT !

Actually, I have and quite often. I know the lab managers of all the labs I work with and see them and the facilities often. Not because I ask, but because they're proud of what they do and how they do it. From Gamma Photo in Chicago to Duggal in NY, and pro labs in Calif. among any of the other ones I use based on geographic requirements. They all run their chemistry at least according to Kodak Q lab standards and their labs, including their equipment for printing and film processing, are all as clean as a whistle.

M.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use CSW in Chicago (Damen and Lake) for MF and LF E-6 processing.

http://www.cswfilmsystems.com/

They also do C-41, but not B/W.
    I usually drop off and pick up, but their FedEx ground shipping to the North Side is very quick when pick up is not practicable.
    I haven't tried mailing to them, but it should work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I noticed that if you want the "discount" for Precision all you have to do is become a member of the Range Finder Forum and you are good to go.

I think I will try them and see how it goes.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Tim ! Thanks for the CSW tip. They're actually not far from my old stomping grounds (Fullerton and Southport, North Sider). I live in California but I still like to work with Gamma on Erie St. and have since about 1972. YIKES !!! I use them when I'm working back in that area. Their turn around times are top shelf and I love what they do for black and white processing.

I copied this from the CSW web site:http://www.cswfilmsystems.com/

"Most professional photographers demand rack and hanger processors, and CSW Film Systems is there to meet that demand. Our customers film is processed in professional "Dip & Dunk" machines, which is the most gentle method of processing film. CSW Film Systems upholds Kodak Q-Lab Standards, which assures the most consistent, highest quality film processing. Normarl turnaround for processing orders (within reasonable film quantities) is 3 hours, and our rush service is 2 hours. Please ask us about rush service availability at the time of your order."

Looks like a good place, Q-lab, dip and dunk, competitive pricing and I'd bet they have no difficulty getting work handled by mail or UPS or any other "send it in" method.

Thanks !
    Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mark - i am sure there are plenty of great labs, who have a refrema machine that is not past its "use by" date, and that the folks who run it (or any other machine) know what they are doing. In many cases, i have to say, most cases at least around these parts, the results are, for lack of better word, appalling. That i saw with knowledge of both sides of the counter and lab innards.

Yes - we have our own lab for many years, and usually run our films on pristine machines . No minilab though.... Whats to be disgruntled about? having to scan negatives rather then print right away (i am guessing thats the "digital two step" you mentioned)? Personally i think thats the greatest thing that happened to film since Superia 100 in 120 format .

For all intents and purposes - even 10 years ago - a well maintained minilab film processor (and any idiot can maintain those), would offer better results then the best maintained dip + dunk machine. There is just no comparison in precision between the two, and when put under a photo desnsitometer, or better yet inside an Imacon or Heidelberg - you can tell right away which is which.

All this is not to say that this or that lab does or does not do a great job just our recent years commercial experience in our region. YMMV - and for most folks out there the results, bad as they might be are just fine and dandy, so perhaps there is no need to complain at all. At the end of the day we do our own film just because we rather trust our selves (or blame ourselves).
    Last edited by CatLABS; 08-16-2013 at 05:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    I copied this from the CSW web site:http://www.cswfilmsystems.com/
    Ignoring the typos and all - they have real amazing pricing on processing - by far blows out anything in our area out of the water. If their service is as as good as they claim this is a real very good price (and they do 11X14 in E-6 !!!, though i am not sure who cuts 11x14 e-6 anymore... still thats pretty incredible).
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Ignoring the typos and all - they have real amazing pricing on processing - by far blows out anything in our area out of the water. If their service is as as good as they claim this is a real very good price (and they do 11X14 in E-6 !!!, though i am not sure who cuts 11x14 e-6 anymore... still thats pretty incredible).
    Greetings CL. I'm sure like anything else, there are lots of bad labs out there. Well, I know there are. I learned processing from my uncle who was an incredible photographer and lived for the darkroom. He could take expired film, expired paper, added a little of this and alittle that, and produced prints that I thought would put Ansel to shame. He used all kinds of different formulas to produce different results he was looking for, matching the film to the chemistry. AND everything was immaculate including and especially his Nikkor tanks. Funny, he was more particular and I think more proud of those stainless tanks than a guy with a brand new Cadillac and chrome rims.

But I also feel that bad processing, whether Refrema, Colenta or Yankee tanks, can be mucked up, when someone gets used to it, they stop noticing or don't notice at all and I'll bet that most pros, me included, would defend our favorite lab til our dying day...until the next best one comes along. LOL !!! And then it's like "How did I put up with THAT". LOL !!! I guess we may not see it until we see someone elses handiwork.

Take it light.
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lots of good info in this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin