Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,795   Online: 772

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hasselblad Proshade on a tripod?

I'm experiencing some difficulties with mounting my Hasselblad with a Proshade on my tripod. I have a Manfrotto 3-way tripod head with one of those hexagon quick-release plates, and when I attach it to the camera it ends up fairly close to the lens. This becomes a problem as I mount it to the tripod, if I have the proshade attached as the little rail at the bottom gets in the way of the tripod head. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and how you solved it? I've thought about mounting the proshade upside down, but I can't seem to get it in position, it usually locks in place at angle, which I assume would cause vignetting.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't have a Proshade but I do use use an older model Bogen (Manfrotto) 3047 three-way head with a hexagon quick-release plate on a Bogen tripod as well as on a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with a ball-head and quick-release plate. I attach the camera with a Hasselblad 45130 tripod quick-coupling (to the plates) that raises the camera up from the plates approximately 3/8 inch. Perhaps mounting your setup that way will solve your problem.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 40231 model uses an adapter ring to mount to the lens. The shade then has two screws that grip on to this. It can be mounted upside down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3579.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	72010

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep. Depending on which model pro shade you've got, you may have to mount it differently if just extending it (because it's tapered) doesn't clear the mount on your tripod. The adapter ring you use to fit the shade to the lens can be rotated to orient the shade up or down or sideways or at any angle simply by loosening the retaining screws and retightening them after it's positioned.

Once it's mounted check for vignetting. If you have a mask inserted and get vignetting, just pull the mask or reduce the extended length of the shade.
    M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I solved it, there was a little screw that acted like a locator pin on the adapter ring (like on a LF shutter) that held it in place so that the rails were oriented downwards, but when I removed it I could freely rotate the proshade and used the two retaining screws to mount it with the rails facing left (viewed from the top of the camera). I was confused because I searched the net for a manual for the proshade and I believe I found the wrong model, I seem to have a fairly non-recent model (40676). Thanks everyone!
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad you nailed it !
    Mark

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin