Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,097   Online: 911

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I owned the 50 ULD, the 110 and the older 180. I didn't have the 50 ULD long enough to appreciate it before I sold everything to get into large format.

The 110 I had was really sharp. I'm curious as to which RZ lenses are sharper?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I find the 65 M-LA and the APO telephotos (I have the 250) to be noticeably sharper than my 110; the tradeoff is that the 65 has nasty bokeh which seems to be an unavoidable consequence of greatly corrected spherical aberration as per the floating element. The 180 W-N seems similar to the 110 in resolution. The 140 M-LA is also reputed to be extremely sharp but I haven't got my hands on one just yet.

I sold my non-floating 50mm after a couple of weeks because it was impossibly soft in the corners, visibly worse than shooting a decent lens on 35mm film. The 50 ULD is meant to be nearly as sharp as the 65 M-LA.

It's also possible that my 110 isn't the sharpest instance of that lens ever made...

Edit: of course I'm talking about the wider (f/2.8 to f/5.6) apertures here. They're all getting on for being diffraction-limited around f/11 or so.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you for replying.

I had the older 180 which was not as sharp but I liked it for close up portraiture. I took some group shots with the 110 that included my wife and she was ready to kill me. She said something to the effect that she didn't want every wrinkle and pore showing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Thank you for replying.

I had the older 180 which was not as sharp but I liked it for close up portraiture. I took some group shots with the 110 that included my wife and she was ready to kill me. She said something to the effect that she didn't want every wrinkle and pore showing.
    Easy, spend a fortune on the best lenses, fine-grained film, the best scanner and/or enlarging lens, the finest printing paper ... and then just put a $5 soft-focus filter in front of the lens to reduce all the pores showing...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you for replying.

Your wife is not alone in her preferences, her emotion is modern day demonstration of the problem that spawned the soft focus lens movement in the late 1800s.

Photographic materials made some technical leaps back then that greatly "improved" sharpness and resolution; the finished product became "too damn good at it's job" for portraitists.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you for replying.

Well, this is medium format... try her with side-lighting and a blue filter, see how she likes that!

PS please put me in your will first

Shooter
    Large Format
    It was the first time that I used the lens and it was a group shoot so I didn't expect her to be upset. It wasn't like it was a close up. There were my wife, step-son, his wife and a new granddaughter in the photographs.

I think my wife is still pretty but when women hit a certain age a soft focus filter sure can be a good friend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It was the first time that I used the lens and it was a group shoot so I didn't expect her to be upset. It wasn't like it was a close up. There were my wife, step-son, his wife and a new granddaughter in the photographs.

I think my wife is still pretty but when women hit a certain age a soft focus filter sure can be a good friend.
    150SF
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like my 110 lens, but also like the APOs. I have a 140 and hardly use it.

Regarding portraits, my wife says the same thing about sharp lenses. Oh well.
    Last edited by tnabbott; 07-31-2013 at 05:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anne Leibovitz said the RZ 140 was her favorite lens and a reason she kept coming back to her RZ.
    I think Clive Barker also use an RZ with a digital back???
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin