Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,312   Online: 892

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    As I started using the Pentax 67 only a few years ago, after shooting with Pentax MX and LX cameras for some 30 years, I'm happy to hear about your experiences with these medium format lenses.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I have been using this lens since it became available. It is one of my favourite Pentax 67 lenses (the others are 4/45mm and 4/300mm ED). It is exceptionally sharp and very useful for close-up work. You can reach a magnification of 1:2.8 with this lens without accessories. I am actually using this lens for close-up work in my avatar picture.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joachim_I View Post
    I have been using this lens since it became available. It is one of my favourite Pentax 67 lenses (the others are 4/45mm and 4/300mm ED). It is exceptionally sharp and very useful for close-up work. You can reach a magnification of 1:2.8 with this lens without accessories. I am actually using this lens for close-up work in my avatar picture.

Hmmm. How...convenient.
    My accomplice will entertain you nearby while I make a beeline for the 75mm AL. Nothing like a bit of sharing and caring!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    As they say, only from my cold, dead hands, Gary :-)

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Jos,

Do this:

Go out and take pictures. Take notes of corresponding photographs(f-stop, shutter speed, etc..)
    When you find a photograph you want to make(I'd recommend using a tripod, just to keep the camera in the same position), find your exposure, and then close down(and moving shutter speed accordingly to keep the same exposure(1/4 @ f8 is the same as 1/15 @ f4, etc....)

Shoot from F2.8(wide open) down to F22/32, whatever the lens's smallest aperture is.
    Move in full-stops, don't worry about 1/2f-stop movements.

Process said film(I'd shoot all 10 shots of the same thing, remember, KEEP NOTES!)

Scan/print said film, whichever way YOU do your post-processing workflow(analog or digitally).

Make your own comparisons. What works for joe-schmo in XYZ location might not work exactly the same for YOU in ZYX location, etc...

YOUR OWN EMPIRICAL DATA is CRUCIAL to YOU getting the most out of YOUR OWN equipment and film stock(s) of choice.

cheers,
    Dan
    Dan,

I followed your suggestion and carried out some basis testing, shooting a test chart at different apertures and found the following results.
    At F2.8 sharpness is disappointing. It takes F8 for optimal performance (sharpness and micro contrast) while F5.6 is very satisfactory, being almost equal to F8. At F4 the image is blurred. I will repeat the test to be certain of that specific aperture and to expose at small apertures .

I used a Slik Pro 500DX tripod at its lowest position to prevent vibration, at my P67II I used mirror lock-up. Film was FP4+, semi stand developed in Rodinal 1+100 for 1 hour.

Jos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jos Segers View Post
    Dan,

I followed your suggestion and carried out some basis testing, shooting a test chart at different apertures and found the following results.
    At F2.8 sharpness is disappointing. It takes F8 for optimal performance (sharpness and micro contrast) while F5.6 is very satisfactory, being almost equal to F8. At F4 the image is blurred. I will repeat the test to be certain of that specific aperture and to expose at small apertures .

I used a Slik Pro 500DX tripod at its lowest position to prevent vibration, at my P67II I used mirror lock-up. Film was FP4+, semi stand developed in Rodinal 1+100 for 1 hour.

Jos.
    My real-life testing with this glass. All handheld @ F/2.8 and F/4 - Tri-X 400

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	696.0 KB 
ID:	72331

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	730.8 KB 
ID:	72332

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	72333

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	964.8 KB 
ID:	72334

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	883.7 KB 
ID:	72335

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I should have bought one of these lenses when they were new and affordable. It's very hard to find them now. That extra speed would make
    focusing a lot easier, esp for handheld work. The lens has been seriously tested on a far more objective basis than this thread .. so I'd take some of the previous remarks with a grain of salt. It should be deadly sharp just one stop down. I work primarily off a tripod, so for my budget the 74/4 is adequate, though unless its being used at inifinity, I routinely use a supplementary critical focus eyepiece. The magnifying hood also gives better focus than the ordinary prism, but then you're looking down into it at the backwards subject. But I have a 105/2.4 as well, and a 165/2.8, which are quite bright for MF. My only serious question mark about the 75/2.8 concerns the hybrid aspheric element and
    how well this might withstand temp extremes or fluctuations over the long haul, if you are an outdoorsman like me. I've seen separations even in all-glass lenses in places like high desert canyons where the temps can swing seventy degrees between day and nite.
    lenses, and optically excellent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin