Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,636   Online: 768

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends how much money you have to blow. I would get the 6x6 projector and take photos knowing you were going to crop. That way you won't feel bad about cutting the film to fit the mounts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you're shooting 6x7, not 6x6, so buying a 6x6 one won't be a lot of help. A 6x7 projector - a pro format until the advent of useable digital backs - ain't gonna be cheap (or MF for such case) unless you get very, very lucky.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Given the uncertain future of 120 slide films, I'd really have to think long and hard before blowing $1000 on a slide projector (or even $380).
    it all depends on how many slides you have already.
    In my case it can be a few thousands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Why just 120 film? Isnt E6 in general dying?
    looks like yes, but instead burying it in advance, let's enjoy what's left!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    good thoughts, thanks. even if e-6 is dying im gonna enjoy it while i can. but i crave something other than a light table to view my good pix. i have a 35mm projector so i can only imagine what a larger slide would look like. i guess my other option is to get a MF scanner and use a hybrid workflow like i do for 35mm slides (i print B&W the old fashion way). now scanners, thats another can of worms

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay... so first i thought... WHAT! cut your negatives, but if you do have the money to blow on stuff like that (i don't)... but if you DO and if I did.. i would totally buy the 6x7... which would also accomodate 6x6 if you also have the money to switch!... I also agree that it would be so awesome to see those negatives on a projector..

** lots of goodwills and salvation armies.. are getting old photo equipment like projectors, although some are smartening up (goodwill now has an auctions site)... some go so far as to throw away film equipment on ground of no one wants it... IF no one at the shop does any research, you might be so lucky as to find a projector for maybe as little as you can imagine...

Get the numbers of these places online, and start calling... or visiting. trust me... $1000 bucks is a lot to spend (for me)... so some money saved, with some time invested, might be worth it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you want to go cheap, Kindermann's work well for 6x6 and 6x4.5. I paid about $150.00 for mine several years ago. I have seen a few go since for around $100.00.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Even a projected 135 format slide looks better than the pathetic 1920x1040 resolution of HDTV! Digital projection is about 2Megapixels, cameras have had 8Megapixels since 2004, now they have 20Megapixels and the projection technology can't even deal with 2004 technology. Hearing gasps of amazement from viewers who see medium format slides right after 135 format slides, which stand heads and shoulders better than 135 lets you appreciate the pathetic state of digital projection and LED displays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lantern slide format (3 1/4" x 4 1/4") projectors can be found in the $100 range. Look for something from the '40s or '50s, toward the end of the format.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    Even a projected 135 format slide looks better than the pathetic 1920x1040 resolution of HDTV! Digital projection is about 2Megapixels, cameras have had 8Megapixels since 2004, now they have 20Megapixels and the projection technology can't even deal with 2004 technology. Hearing gasps of amazement from viewers who see medium format slides right after 135 format slides, which stand heads and shoulders better than 135 lets you appreciate the pathetic state of digital projection and LED displays.
    I used to be a member of St. Louis Camera Club back in the 1980's. They would project 35mm slides for critique at meetings. Every once in a while they would show a super slide taken with a medium format camera. The crowd would be amazed. Now I don't know the dimensions of a super slide but at the time I was told it was smaller than a full medium format image.

Today the club has gone digital and they now use a digital projector. My, how far we have come since the mid 1980's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin