Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,828   Online: 705

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

slide projector question

looks like i got a little to excited with my med format drive. got the camera, a few lenses and some film. developed the slides and wow, i was blown away. but now what? i have a minolta 5400 scanner and a projector for 35mm but nothing for the 6x7. well went to my local camera store where i bought the camera and the guy who sold them the pentax system brought in his hasselblad pcp 80 projector. comes with 3 trays, 4 spare lamps, 60 gebe N glass mounts and a few extra things. is in mint condition except for the lens fell and cracked the outside edge which was glued back on. they assure me it doesnt effect the picture and looking at it i dont see how it could effect the pict. but it comes with a 14 day return policy. also on craigs list there is a rollei P11 dual format projector with lamps for 35mm and 6x6 projection. 2 35mm trays but no 6x6 trays.

i can get the pcp 80 for under $1,000 and the rollei is asking $380. the only thing holding me back is having to trim by slides down to fit in a 6x6 mount. i can compose them going forward to fit, but why not get e 6x6 camera? the 6x7 projector options are more than im willing to spend. i figure if there are any real keepers that i'll just pay for a good drum scan of the one or two off slides.

so, any thoughts? does anyone else crop their slides to fit 6x6 mounts?

thanks

john

Shooter
    35mm
    Given the uncertain future of 120 slide films, I'd really have to think long and hard before blowing $1000 on a slide projector (or even $380).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 6x4.5 back with my RB67 and 6x4.5 mounts.

I also have a 6x4.5 camera and a 6x6 camera, and shoot slides with them as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why don't you scan them, post process them and show on your HDTV. I've done that with my 6x7 and they look pretty good on my 52" HDTV. It's also a snap to set up to show people when they're over. You can still go with the projector but you may be satisfied with the HDTV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Why don't you scan them, post process them and show on your HDTV. I've done that with my 6x7 and they look pretty good on my 52" HDTV. It's also a snap to set up to show people when they're over. You can still go with the projector but you may be satisfied with the HDTV.
    A properly projected slide looks so much better than a digital scan, resized down to 2.025 megapixels to fit on to a "high definition" TV.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Get a slide projector and enjoy it. There's more to life than a big screen digital TV.

Shooter
    35mm
    The other day I endured over an hour of someone's holiday pictures....on the 3 inch screen on the back of his (very expensive) digital camera.

Bring back slide shows!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Given the uncertain future of 120 slide films, I'd really have to think long and hard before blowing $1000 on a slide projector (or even $380).
    Why just 120 film? Isnt E6 in general dying?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    6x7 projectors are rare and expensive (Götschmann comes to my mind), but maybe not more expensive than a Hasselblad projector?
    If you want to confine yourself to 6x6 than I would suggest one of the newer Rollei projectors (P66 series) with a GOOD lens (Schneider AV Xenotar, huge difference over the standard "Heidosmat" lens!). Stay away from the Rollei P11, as it is quite dim and takes bulbs that are difficult to source, IIRC. The Schneider Xenotar lenses are a bit rare but not impossible to get with a bit of patience. I don't worry too much about the future of slide film, I shoot color as long as it is available and then there will still be b&w slides.

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes I shoot at 6x7 sometimes and cut the negs down to 6x6 so I can project with my 6x6 projector. Hate doing it though, seems cutting through a slide is just 'wrong' even if it it improves the composition!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin