Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 670

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the 165mm f4 LS better than the 135mm Macro myself, but that's just me. I had the 90mm f2.8 LS for years and then a year or so ago I got a really clean 165LS that wasn't working. I thought I might be able to fix the shutter and if not at least use it without the shutter. Well, to my surprise I fixed the darn thing and then had a like new 165mm LS at a bargain price. Happy ending? Nope! I used the lens a few times and then the shutter did the same as before. It wasn't until I got on this forum that I discovered I was using the lens wrong and it is a whole different beast compared to the 90mm LS. If you get the 165mm LS make sure you follow the manual on how it operates. Oh, I ended up going into it again and it's now still working like a champ. Live and learn! I know there is no bad Pentax 6x7 lenses, but some are just a little more likeable than others. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will the 165 LS work with any model 6x7/67? And what's the fastest flash sync with the leaf shutter?
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Leaf shutters sync at all speeds.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A close friend of mine owns a Pentax 67 with mirror lock up. He always uses a tripod and he uses the mirror lock up. He makes some really nice sharp images.

The funny thing is that he owns the 165 LS. He hates flash and he doesn't shoot portraits. Just likes the focal length I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    I know there is no bad Pentax 6x7 lenses, but some are just a little more likeable than others. JohnW
    +1. My lenses are 45/4, 55/4, 75/4.5, 90/2.8, 135/4 Macro, 200/4. All of them excellent. The 135 is the one I "like" least, but end up using quite a lot in any case. The 105/2.4 would have been nice to have, but I haven't seen them lying around these parts lately.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure it is mechanically sound. As others have said, these cameras and lenses can be rather old. The lens filter threads should be good, as with B/W you are going to use filters. It is very frustrating to struggle getting filters on and off, and you end up stripping the thread sooner or later. And do not buy anything with fungus inside. A good guideline is not to buy from places with high humidity year round. Our South African east coast has a subtropical climate, and the few times that I was buying jumble sales from places like Durban, on every occasion the lenses came with fungus inside, and the camera seals were decayed. It is not always worth the effort to get such gear cleaned and re-sealed. Sometimes the damage cannot be undone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax 6x7 is sure fun to use, and cheap as well. KEH is a place to check.
    I got one P67II with broken advance mechanism, a 6x7 with MLU and 4 lens ( 55/4, 75/4.5, 105/2.4 and 200/4), all for 400 EUR. The lenses are Ugly rated from KEH, uh oh it works well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    dorff, I have the very same lens line-up plus the 105mm and 165mmLS and agree 100% that they are all excellent. There are NO dogs in the 6x7 Pentax lens kennel! If you learn to use the camera correctly (tripod it as much as you can), use the right film and lighting you won't even think 4x5. I haven't touched my 4x5 in a long, long time. Of course the type of shooting I do now is just things I want to do and that makes a difference as to what I'm using. I second a search on KEH's site also. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went to the local camera store where KEH is buying this weekend. Sold a couple of lenses and went home and ordered 6x7, non metered prism, 135 macro, and 165 LS lens from KEH. I forgot to ask-what type battery do I need to get? Is there a lithium battery available?
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    I went to the local camera store where KEH is buying this weekend. Sold a couple of lenses and went home and ordered 6x7, non metered prism, 135 macro, and 165 LS lens from KEH. I forgot to ask-what type battery do I need to get? Is there a lithium battery available?
    Congratulations! Two good lenses to start, but now watch for a 55mm f4 (either the 2nd or last version are fine) 'cause you're more than likely going to want something a little wider for landscapes and tight spaces. I have the 45mm and the 55mm (2nd version) and if I had to pick just one it would be the 55mm for sure. Your battery needs are covered by a 544 or PX28 battery, but the PX28L is the way to go. "L" means lithium. Hope you have a sturdy tripod and a steady hand! Have fun, JohnW
    Oh, I forgot to say that you can now us the nice 165mmLS on your Pentax 645 with an adapter also.
    Last edited by John Wiegerink; 07-26-2013 at 03:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I will get a battery this weekend. Lenses I want to get in the future are 105 2,4 and 75 shift. I've never had shift capability before.
    Bill

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin