Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,950   Online: 803

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Need advice on Pentax 6X7.

Hi guys. I have a Pentax 645 and want to go a little bigger-no I'm not interested in LF camera, so please don't suggest that :-) I am interested in the earliest model with MLU. So I guess this would be the second version?? Is this a good choice? Are they reliable? And there are several finders available. Will any finder fit any 6X7/67, or do certain finders only fit certain versions of the camera? I wanna get a non metered prism for the challenge and to give my Sekonic meter some use.
    Last edited by f/16; 07-24-2013 at 10:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bill,

I'm not really a gear-savvy kind of guy so I can't offer any technical advice, just an opinion. I have, more or less, the setup you are asking about; 6x7 body with MLU and non-metered prism. I love shooting with it and especially love the looks on peoples faces when the shutter fires. Been very happy with the lenses I have accumulated (the 55mm and the 75mm seem to get the most mileage). It is a handful, especially if you put bigger lenses on it, but for me it is still manageable to hand hold for a lot of the stuff I do.

It's the only medium format camera I have used (other than a Holga) so admittedly I don't have anything to compare it to, but I would quite happily recommend it.

Good luck,
    Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Craig. Something else I wanted to ask. Is MLU necessary for a sharp pic? Is mirror slap bad with the 6x7?
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    Thanks Craig. Something else I wanted to ask. Is MLU necessary for a sharp pic? Is mirror slap bad with the 6x7?
    It will certainly help, especially for shutter speeds below 1/125 handheld. It is a big mirror and shutter. I think the shutter down slap as it opens also causes significant motion. For landscapes etc you really have to use a strong and sturdy tripod.

About viewfinders: I am not sure whether all viewfinders fit all of the original bodies, but the mk II definitely has its own set.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, MLU is necessary. Not for every shot, but a significant portion of the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bill,

In my experience, the MLU is definitely a nice to have (as polyglot mentioned, it gets used a fair bit) and I second the sturdy tripod for the slower shutter speeds.

Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would get a body from a reputable source. They are very old and complicated machines that can have issues. Maybe find a prism with a broken meter, which should be cheap.

They take amazing pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was planning on getting one from KEH. About 40% of the 35mm bodies I got from them had issues, but they'll never hassle you about returning or exchanging something. About using MLU handheld, I never thought of that. I was going to use the 6X7 on a tripod all the time. It will be used with an Induro AT413, which is sturdy, and heavy. And the lens I want to get is the Takumar 135 f/4 SMC macro. Does it have good image quality? If so, why is it so inexpensive? That will make a good 1st lens for me because I like short telephotos over wides or standards. And I really like lenses that focus close.
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    I was planning on getting one from KEH. About 40% of the 35mm bodies I got from them had issues, but they'll never hassle you about returning or exchanging something. About using MLU handheld, I never thought of that. I was going to use the 6X7 on a tripod all the time. It will be used with an Induro AT413, which is sturdy, and heavy. And the lens I want to get is the Takumar 135 f/4 SMC macro. Does it have good image quality? If so, why is it so inexpensive? That will make a good 1st lens for me because I like short telephotos over wides or standards. And I really like lenses that focus close.
    KEH is first rate and is usually very conservative on their ratings. BGN at KEH is what most sellers sell as EXC. I have eight lenses for my 6x7's and that includes the 135mm f4 Macro. The 135mm is a nice, sharp lens, but I don't think I'd recommend it as a "first" lens if you had to settle on one lens. While mine is sharp, it's not as sharp as my105mm 2.4 or does it have as good of contrast. Still, if that's what you want and don't need the faster f2.4 f-stop then go for it. Oh, if your into the Bokeh thing the 105mm wins hands down. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about the 165 ls lens? I really like that one too. Does the leaf shutter in it work with all variants of the 6X7 cameras?
    Bill

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin