Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,593   Online: 915

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 645 Pro backs - blue tab vs red tab?

I see listings for Mamiya 645 Pro backs which say "red tab" or "blue tab". That obviously refers to the color of the handle on the dark slides, but does that indicate anything else? Are they actually different models?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always wondered the same thing. The way that some people advertise them, it's like "For sale: back with <colour> tab, so much better than <othercolour> tab".

I did get a few red-tabs with my 645AF, and I see blue tabs more often on 645AFD /2/3 models. Maybe blue is just later?
    Still, never had a problem with my Reds...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought they changed the colour when they went from the backs introduced for the "Super" to the backs introduced for the "Pro".

Both backs work essentially the same - it is the appearance that changed.

As far as I know, you can switch the dark slides (and therefore the colour of the tabs) between the backs.

The "Pro" style backs are, of course, newer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have two backs and each are of one of the colors. I think they are both PRO backs. Aren't those "tabs" the dark slides? I'll have to check again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin