Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,551   Online: 1119

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pricing gear advice

Hello, all --

I'm not a subscriber so it appears I can't post in Classifieds. I could subscribe, I love the site, but there's a reason I'm selling gear

Is it OK if I post here for advice about an asking price? I've surveyed completed listings on the bay and I am considering offering the whole kit at a discount relative to total of the individual item prices if I don't have to deal with the auction and shipping single items, etc.

Phillip

Shooter
    35mm
    Not knowing a thing about your kit, the general advice is that kits don't sell, unless you offer VERY substantial discounts. Like half to seventyfive percent of individual cost. You may as well "give" it away to KEH to get that sort of rate. People who look at kits are very often the ones willing to do the dirty work you want to avoid - selling the individual items.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wolfeye is right. I'm a small time Ebay seller and I'll sell a camera with a normal lens but any additional lenses I sell separately. In the past I have occasionally bought whole medium format and large format kits off Ebay and then parted them out and made money. It's hard to find deals like that anymore though. Most people are looking for a camera or a lens and don't want to fool with selling what they don't want.

If you want to try it, go ahead and list the whole kit on here. If it doesn't sell then knock the price down a bit. If your not sure of a starting price you can bring it up to the members for advice before you list. To get the most for your money you are way better off parting it out on either APUG or Ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems if you list items individually, someone will ask to make it a kit. If you advertise everything as a kit, always someone wants to buy just a piece or two.

It seems Ebay prices are all over the place. KEH allows potential sellers to get a "quote" via an online tool. I'd suggest trying that, figure out what KEH will buy them for, then check the ebay price, pick somewhere in between as your selling price. I've sold to KEH before. Understanding it is a commercial enterprise and it exists to make a profit, I felt comfortable with what it offered. If you want to make a quick sale, it's a good way to do it and absolutely no hassles.

I've been told by a few, including a moderator, asking for a price advice here can be seen as a thinly disguised for sale solicitation. I don't know what the official policy is. Provided it is a genuine query, I personally don't see an issue asking for advise of any kind.

Also, classified section here is very active. You may want to "invest" in the membership and make your sale here. You pay a fee for Ebay, too....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the responses; I'll think it over some more. I left details out as I'm sensitive to the 'thinly veiled ad' concern.

Phillip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Things don't have intrinsic value, I learned this by bitter experience, even though you might have paid $1000 for an item, if the most someone is willing to pay for it is $75 that's what it's worth.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ebay asking prices are all over the place. What items sell for is another thing. I find that the things I sell usually go for the going Ebay rate. Once in a while I lose on an item and once in a while I get paid more than something is worth. If you sell enough it pretty much equals out.

I have found that the going Ebay rate may be different than the for sale sections on APUG and Large Format Photography Forum. Usually Ebay seems a little higher but occasionally it can be lower. Of course Ebay is an auction.

One piece of advice if you sell on Ebay. Do not have your auctions end on Friday nights or Saturdays. People are busy then and items tend to go for less.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin