Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,625   Online: 1166

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using older Bronica (SQ-a) backs on a SQ-Ai?

I'm currently looking for an extra back in my Bronica system. These backs are very rare over here (Sweden) so the only one I've seen this far is an older model, and I'm not sure if it will be compatible with my body (SQ-Ai).

This is the back in question:

http://img.tradera.com/medium/921/16...ffa5e3674e.jpg

Do you think it will work with my body? And how much is it worth?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both SQ and SQAi backs on my SQAi. They're all compatible, so don't worry about it. It's been a few years since I bought a 120 back, but I think I paid about $100 for mine.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'm now only hoping that the bidding will remain sane.

On the other hand, last time I saw a Bronica kit going up for sale it went for approx. $350 (sq-a, 80 mm S, back and metering prism) so maybe there's hope.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Oscar,
    I use a Bronica SQ-B and have no problem with old backs itself. Since the SQ-B is a SQ-A without metering I'm guessing here, but I suppose you might miss some electronic connections with the old back? That is, if the new backs feed info to the camera for the light meter or so.
    I don't know for sure, but remember having read something about that.
    But if so, I wouldn't have a big problem with that, especially when the price is right.

More important: is the back fully operational? I once bought a Bronica 135 filmback (for 35 mm panorama shots) that looked oke, but ended up not winding the film correctly. So test with an old film is my advise.

About prices: sometimes it is cheaper to get a whole set than a single film back ... strange world.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I think that my metering prism will not work with an older back, but I only use my folding prism so I'm pretty sure I can put up with that :-)

I wish more sets would show up to reasonable prices. My setup is pretty complete (50, 80, 110, 150) but more is better.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also use SQ-A backs on a SQ-Ai. Metering works fine, the only issue being that the earlier backs had the ISO setting wheel on the top. This renders the dial unreadable when used with an AE prism.

The only backs that won't work with metered prisms is the SQ-B version - These do not have the ISO setting dial or the electrical contacts to communicate with a metered prism. In all other respects, the SQ-B backs work fine on a SQ-Ai body.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin