Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,596   Online: 862

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt321 View Post
    I will say, for being so huge, you generally don't have to worry about a lot of theft at Burning Man. Yes, some does go on, but often it's someone 'borrowing' a bike or thinking it's their bike.
    Yes, that's what we keep telling people.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    He had a Mamiya 7II and loading it in a whiteout storm? Ouch! I'll admit, I can afford to burn some money, but I don't have that much money.

This year I'll stick to my very simple (and fairly cheap) Perkeo I, and if it gets trashed, well, maybe I'll turn it into a pinhole camera or try my hand at some wet-plate collodion with it. And you know what? With it's simplicity and limitations it'll probably help me actually be more of a participant than an observer like the past couple of years. And that's a good thing for me.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the spirit!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh, and I need to get stickers to put on the back of all the peel-pack instant photos I'll be gifting. Time to hit Amazon and stock up!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    But I'd disagree about Bill's comment about larger formats and dust - the more film area, the more electrostatic surface
    you have to attract dust, esp if you pull a darkslide.... such things need to be coated with antistatic sprays prior to the trip; and in desert
    conditions I've sometimes even taken along a length of speaker wire with a tiny alligator clip at one end and a nail at the other, in order to
    ground metal cameras (it actually helps when working from a tripod)...
    I was taking for granted there will be dust... But won't small (1/1000th inch according to my measurement today of some dust on my gas can) particles of dust be less noticeable on an 8x10 contact print... than they would an 11x14 enlargement from 4x5?

Heck why stop there (although Drizzt321 is staying with 120 Perkeo)... Pick up an old junker process camera, mount it to the chassis of an old pickup truck (use the cab for the "Darkroom" side)... Get a dozen volunteers to drag it from location to location... And go out and make wet plates...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I was taking for granted there will be dust... But won't small (1/1000th inch according to my measurement today of some dust on my gas can) particles of dust be less noticeable on an 8x10 contact print... than they would an 11x14 enlargement from 4x5?

Heck why stop there (although Drizzt321 is staying with 120 Perkeo)... Pick up an old junker process camera, mount it to the chassis of an old pickup truck (use the cab for the "Darkroom" side)... Get a dozen volunteers to drag it from location to location... And go out and make wet plates...
    Why have volunteers drag it? Just gotta turn it into an art car and then I can drive it around! Of course, it won't be cheap. Not super expensive, but not a couple of hundred $$ Plus a lot more expertise with the film than what I have right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    A pinhole exposure of the actual burning sounds like a cool idea. I wonder if its already been done. If it hasn't I declare immediate claim to copyright and will license at 100,000USD per similar exposure. ;-)
    Um...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Regarding using a Nikonos: I would not. Last I checked, there is a very big difference between water and sand. Water is wet. Sand is abrasive. The Nikonos is designed to resist wet. It wasn't designed to resist abrasiveness.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt321 View Post
    He had a Mamiya 7II and loading it in a whiteout storm? Ouch!
    Agreed! Wow.

Ok I have a solution

Mamiya RB67's are super cheap right now, get a body and a lens and a 70mm back, that gives you 50-60 images to a roll, that should be enough, and you can get Kodak portra and B&W 70mm for a decent price. (Cheaper than 220).

The whole camera can be a throw away, it will be heavy but there's a light meter viewfinder attachment. The most expensive is the 70mm back but even those aren't too bad.

Plus you can also get 70mm IR400 film and burning man in infra red would be pretty cool. The sun is strong enough you might not even need a tripod during the day.

Or just use it as 400 B&W

Best of all its new and cheap from maco.

Anyway that's my idea, if the body gets destroyed, who cares.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A throwaway RB67? That's just satanic talk.

Wrap any camera you have entirely in plastic and secure the plastic to a UV filter. Load the film when sheltered or calm. I don't think you'll have any issues.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin