Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,618   Online: 1075

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fantastic! I'm happy to see it have a new life. Nice work, Scott.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Good to see. My mid size baby is in CLA and getting a new meter cover installed. Gives me great hope for another god bit of years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks again, everyone! Did some more work last night, including waxing the screen (used Minwax paste wax). Amazing difference. It's a toss-up though - creates a hot spot on the screen, but more definition and brighter overall.

Logan, thank you. These were all hand-held, and honestly, a little softer than I was expecting. The shutter release button was sticky and stiff, and I think that induced some motion blur. I've since disassembled that and cleaned/lubed it, which made a lot of difference. I have gotten fantastic results from these old Tessars on several Automats, including pre-war models with uncoated lenses. I love them!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    You could try waxing the screen to brighten it up. I have done it several times and it works very well.
    Waxing?? That's new to me. Intrigued.... What's the intended purpose?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fast, I'm not sure what's going on with the waxing, as it makes the screen more transparent than translucent, but there's a dramatic increase in "pop" and brightness. Downside is that it creates a hotspot in the center of the screen that seems worst in dim lighting conditions...

P1010115 by Scott --, on Flickr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Result of a film test, minimum focus distance, maximum aperture, tripod and cable release:

img129 by Scott --, on Flickr

If I change out the screen, which is a possibility yet, I'll have to reset focus. But for now, it looks pretty good.

Daughter hamming it up to finish the roll:

img132 by Scott --, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You've done a nice job there Scott. The wax trick seems from the photos to have made quite a difference to the viewing screen, but I can see how the hot spot could be annoying. If I had to decide, I think I'd prefer the easier focusing, though it would be worth some experimenting to see if there were any way to even it out a little.

Are you going to re-clothe it with standard leather, or go for something more radical?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whlogan View Post
    I am amazed at the detail and sharpness you have achieved with this re-worked Rollei.
    Really? my Rolleicord probably has the sharpest lens of all of my cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by bliorg View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on with the waxing, as it makes the screen more transparent than translucent, but there's a dramatic increase in "pop" and brightness. Downside is that it creates a hotspot in the center of the screen that seems worst in dim lighting conditions
    It seems to reduce the spread of light so more of it goes perpendicular to the glass. the result is a brighter image but a more narrow viewing angle.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    After more than 25 years experience with Leicas , I can say older the camera better the image. I think japanese image trends killed the Summicrons and others with time with the help of Canada Leica. Now Leica lenses are the worst in their history , I am not writing from the stomach , new lenses are cyan oriented like new films. No elegant colors. They work like japanese brothers , when you look to 50 , 80 years old Leica image , you cant detect a unsharp area , annoying high contrast and misjudging tones in composition , lots of visual guiding noise around and in small 3d areas , if image is not sharp , colors goes to kodachrome colors and visual experience like a autochrome. They had hot colors like a flame. Dim light photographs are most elegant. Same thing for middle format german optics or large format lenses.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks, guys. Paul - I'm putting an order in with Morgan today for some black leathers. I'm done with the radical stuff for now. Steve - thanks for the explanation. I'm still not sure if I'm leaving this the way it is or stripping the wax back off. Also have another Automat on its way here (it's a sickness, really), so I'm kind of in a holding pattern...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin