Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,812   Online: 718

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It looks like the hot spot in the waxed screen is actually because the screen is now so transparent that you can see the lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    It looks like the hot spot in the waxed screen is actually because the screen is now so transparent that you can see the lens.
    I think that's accurate, but I don't know that there are varying degrees of applying this wax to the screen (i.e., varying degrees of transparency/translucency). I might try stripping the wax and applying a light coat of dewaxed shellac (I've read that has a similar effect).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If the screen has a hotspot then you put too much wax on it. The reason why older screens are dim is because the grind of the screen is rough. The wax fills in some of the ridges thereby increasing the transparency. If you use too much, you fill in all of the edges that refract the light. If you have a hotspot, you need to thin the wax so use whatever solvent you need to do so. Keep in mind you can take off the marking on the screen with some solvents. Be careful.

The other alternative is to place a fresnel over the screen or of course just replace the screen with something modern. The wax trick works though if you do it right.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bliorg View Post
    Steve - thanks for the explanation.
    It was more of an assumption than an explanation!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One more, from yesterday at the Daniel Boone Homestead:

Untitled by Scott --, on Flickr

I need to strip the wax off of the screen. Hot spot is too distracting, and too difficult to compose around. I may try thinning the wax, or just leave the stock screen as-is. It's way cleaner now than when I got it, anyway...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fantastic images. Thats what I love about these cameras. Hyper detail in small package. The sensitivity on light.. like your pic of the work shop. That hot spot on the floor shows value along with darkest shadowy corner. Amazing little cameras.
    ToddB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, after a bit of a break, I got the Rolleiflex recovered.

Rolleiflex Automat X (K4/50) by Scott --, on Flickr

Rolleiflex Automat X (K4/50) by Scott --, on Flickr

Have a roll of Acros in it now, and then I think it's time to find it a new home.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bliorg View Post
    Well, after a bit of a break, I got the Rolleiflex recovered.
    Do you mean that it was stolen and you got it back? Or something else?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Funny, Mike. I took a couple weeks off of working on it, then replaced the leathers.

Shot from tonight with it:

img150a by Scott --, on Flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin