Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,234   Online: 709

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, the way I see it, 35mm and medium format film cameras are just about perfect. You can buy them as simple as can be with no meter, manual focus, and no auto exposure or you can buy them with matrix metering and complete automation. Your choice!

DSLR's have so much stuff on them that they can get confusing all ready. Now they all have video. What's next, a phone?

Why combine digital and film?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    If it brings more people to film then why not?

Just because you don't want it doesn't mean NO body wants it

Same as Lomo/Holga, a lot of people on here hate them but it brings an awful lot of people to film.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Well, the way I see it, 35mm and medium format film cameras are just about perfect. You can buy them as simple as can be with no meter, manual focus, and no auto exposure or you can buy them with matrix metering and complete automation. Your choice!

DSLR's have so much stuff on them that they can get confusing all ready. Now they all have video. What's next, a phone?

For a hint, maybe carry a film camera and a digital camera.
    Yes, digis have a sort of phone capability at the moment called "Eye-Fi" for transferring files wirelessly, as I do with mine.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    If it brings more people to film then why not?

Just because you don't want it doesn't mean NO body wants it

Same as Lomo/Holga, a lot of people on here hate them but it brings an awful lot of people to film.
    Bill, I'm all for bringing people to film but to combine digital and film in one camera, I think you would end up with a bulky, complicated camera that would be awkward at shooting film or digital. In the end you would be way better off using both a film camera and a digital camera. A Jack of all trades is a master of none. Just my opinion.

I have no interest in Lomo/Holga at all but I do agree that they have brought a lot of people to film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    03AUG2013

About 13 years ago, while stationed at Fort Belvoir's Night Vision Laboratory (PM-NV/RSTA), I checked in to getting a patent for a camera that would use a prism as a beam splitter, directing the image to a sensor and film simultaneously. I was told that a Japanese firm already had a patent for such a device, and that many patented devices never make it to the market, patents are used defensively to prevent others from marketing products.

My thought process was along the lines of forensic photography, capturing a digital image for immediate use and a film image as an unaltered original representation of the scene photographed.
    Craig Knapp

Shooting with:
    Franka Rolfix 6x9 (with Series VI filters)
    Franka Solida IIIE (by Certo 6)
    Kodak Retina IIIc with 3 Schneider Lenses (body repaired recently CLAd in Aukland Newzland)
    Bronica ETR-S System
    Omega 45D 4x5 system
    Complete Wet Darkroom with Beseler 45MCRX and 23CII

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    For a hint, maybe carry a film camera and a digital camera.
    Yes, digis have a sort of phone capability at the moment called "Eye-Fi" for transferring files wirelessly, as I do with mine.
    I do own a digital camera. My Nikon D300 has buttons all over it plus the menu's and I don't even own the S version with video. It's like they keep trying to make them more complicated. I'm a fan of KISS, keep it simple stupid.

And people told me large format was hard!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.knapp1 View Post
    03AUG2013

About 13 years ago, while stationed at Fort Belvoir's Night Vision Laboratory (PM-NV/RSTA), I checked in to getting a patent for a camera that would use a prism as a beam splitter, directing the image to a sensor and film simultaneously. I was told that a Japanese firm already had a patent for such a device, and that many patented devices never make it to the market, patents are used defensively to prevent others from marketing products.

My thought process was along the lines of forensic photography, capturing a digital image for immediate use and a film image as an unaltered original representation of the scene photographed.
    Sounds interesting, so the Japanese firm presumably never developed this? Such a camera would have uses in the legal area of proof.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Outside of the consumer world such beam-splitter concept, though in the beginning analogue, had been applied in cinematography to gain an real-time video of the scene.
    It can be used for instant control, assesment after taking a scene, comparing scenes or for editing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bit of history on equipment for the portrait business - in 1988 the Kodak Prism came on the market. It used both electronic and film cameras, using a beam splitter so they had the same virtual viewpoint. The general idea of two cameras and beam splitter was well known at the time - the patent-worthy idea was in the electronic camera. At the time, camcorders used "interlaced" CCD output, which could not capture a complete image under flash. Kodak's system temporarily interrupted the interlaced output, captured a complete flash image, then resumed normal (interlaced) output.

This was the first time it was possible to sync both a film camera (your own) and electronic camera to the same flash event. In essence, it was an instant proofing system. No more risk of completing a portrait session, then finding out later (after processing and printing) that someone blinked on every shot, etc. It was now possible to complete sessions with a minimal number of shots, being confident that you had good expressions and poses. If you're good, you don't really need such a system, but it allowed relatively untrained people to shoot portraits. To me, that was the real value of such a system.

These systems, as well as muliple knock-offs, went out of style in commercial operations when full-digital cameras became "adequate". But if you do portraiture, especially on larger film sizes, and don't mind working from a heavy-duty camera stand with a large contraption, the same advantages are still there.

And as Bill Lynch has pointed out, a modern (tiny) digital could act as a notebook of sorts, and even a proofing system, if piggybacked onto a film camera. It's not something I see myself using, but certainly some people might. Remember, before the Kodak Prism system came out, few people realized how much they would want something like that.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you! Never heard of a Kodak Prism before.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin