Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,020   Online: 928

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"Sticky" back on my RB67

One of my backs (120) for my RB67 has an annoying habit of not "recognizing" that a shot has been taken. As a result, you can't advance the film. I figured out that I can work around it by taking the back off of the camera, and then poking a small pin into one of the holes on the top of the back. You can hear something inside "triggering" when you do that. From what I can tell, the camera body has a small rod that is supposed to poke that for you, but apparently this one is off some how.

Is there an easy fix for this? Is it worth pulling it apart to see...what?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Narrow it down by checking the rod protrudes when you trip the shutter. If not, a drop of alcohol or Naptha(lighter fluid) should clear it up. If other lenses work, it's likely the back as you say.

I haven't been inside a back for a long time but suspect that would work there too.
    A drop, not a squirt. :o) Hold the back vertical so the fluid runs down to the internal linkage.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, I've got two backs, and one gives trouble while the other does not. I'll give the lighter fluid a try.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hold on there.. you say the rev back is missing one pin?.. only one silver tit? You have an RB not a a Pro back then.

Unless you mean the pin is not firing at all?

It may be bent. Take the rev back off n push the pin out manually n inspect it? If it is sticking.. a tiny drop of WD will losen it up. If it is bent.. use a flat jaw pliers to work it flat n straight again.

OH also if you can't find a solution other than taking your film back off each time.. jsut throw the lever to multi exposure instead of using the doubnle exposure secuirty feature.. the lever is under the cocking lever on the back.. red dot there?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't have it with me, so I'm going from memory here...

But I'm 99% sure that what's happening here is something sticking on the film back itself. The problem is not present 100% of the time...maybe four shots out of ten it will stick on this particular back. I can see the thing on the body trying to "poke" the little trigger (that I end up triggering manually when it sticks). Its trying. Its just not getting it done. And I have another back that works 100% of the time.

With all that in mind, does a squirt of lighter fluid into the hole on the back sound like the right approach?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's the film back that is malfunctioning and not the body. Which body and back you have? Pro, Pro-S, Pro SD ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    I don't have it with me, so I'm going from memory here...

But I'm 99% sure that what's happening here is something sticking on the film back itself. The problem is not present 100% of the time...maybe four shots out of ten it will stick on this particular back. I can see the thing on the body trying to "poke" the little trigger (that I end up triggering manually when it sticks). Its trying. Its just not getting it done. And I have another back that works 100% of the time.

With all that in mind, does a squirt of lighter fluid into the hole on the back sound like the right approach?

Not a squirt, a drop. you don't want to flood it give it a tiny sip.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    putting any lube or cleaner on that part will do nothing since it sounds more like the signal arm is the problem. That little flap is connected to an arm that reaches all the way to the counter side. That aclick you hear when you cock is the mechanism involved.

Open the top?

2 screws.. one in each corner. Then inside.. 2 more screws. Peel the leatherete off the center of the lever.. unscrew the large brass screw.. carefully lift the lever without dislodgeing the spring below it. Put the screw back on.. now lift the top n jsut be mindfull of the flap by the hole in front of the lever. Put back the lever n cock away to find your porblem.

Check all the screws to see they are snug.. common for some to work lose. When cocking see if the casting at the stop of the lever is cracked? Snapping your lever back tends to beak this casting n causes problems such as yours.. early sign.

AS you cock you will see how the mechanisms work so jsut followo the levers around. OH load some backing paper in the back to simulate film runiong through.

Yes maybe a tiny drop of WD will help in a few places... but it is a very tiny pin head of a drop. almsot molecular. no need to juice her up.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin