Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,690   Online: 954

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Quan View Post
    I would love to see photos of these mounted to the camera, if you have some.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7784645...n/photostream/

It took me 3 years to get this immaculate SL66SE with a 80mm; so be patient and a happy search

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k.hendrik View Post

It took me 3 years to get this immaculate SL66SE with a 80mm; so be patient and a happy search
    I'm gonna try this with my SL66 and some exotic lenses I have (without a camera for it). Thanks for the tip.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k.hendrik View Post

How Tichy! I frakking LOVE it!
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Dan: VERY good arguements here...

I have both systems - never ever use the hasselblad.... (I think it is much harder to work with - and I love how easy it is to focus the SL.. even hand held!)

So not so many words from me - just an image showing a very modern lens arrangement... and two resusts - one with a meniscus type landscape lens - the other using a small Busch Ki Petzval lens...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rollei-me.jpg   rollei-me3.jpg   lancaster.jpg   rollei---petzval-deer.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Dan: VERY good arguements here...

I have both systems - never ever use the hasselblad.... (I think it is much harder to work with - and I love how easy it is to focus the SL.. even hand held!)

So not so many words from me - just an image showing a very modern lens arrangement... and two resusts - one with a meniscus type landscape lens - the other using a small Busch Ki Petzval lens...
    See now, this is cool! The breadth of palette and possibilities this body opens up is truly exciting! Sometimes an 80mm ƒ2.8 Planar and other times half of a Goerz Berlin Binocular or perhaps a Petval, or maybe a...
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, since you are intrigued by the possibility of using alternative lenses the SL66 might well be the better choice for you after all. For me, I'm happy to use the standard OEM lenses so it's not an issue. I would mention that the first of my 2 SL66's (both were very early production, non-metered bodies) had to be serviced to correct a stuck focusing rack (in the fully extended position - naturally, while I was out hiking with the camera in a photo backpack!). Sent it to Harry Fleenor (Oceanside Camera in CA) and all was well from the on. I believe the focus mechanism in the Rollei is known to be a somewhat sensitive area so have it checked out.
    A few interesting little SL66 mechanical details come to mind, by the way... very nice _sound_ when firing the camera (distinctive klunk sound... if you pay attention to that sort of thing)... the winding crank operates like the Rollei TLRs - wind forward, then back to arm (Hasselblad is single direction). And, when the film has run out the magazine winding knob pops out and has a nice ratcheting noise and feel when rotated, quite different from the Hasselblad. Oh, and there's the really nice machined, knurled edges to that knob and others on the body... nice stuff! I love my Hasselblads but if you go the SL66 route you will not be disappointed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Quan View Post
    I am actually looking for input and deciding between a Rollie SL66 and a Hasselblad. Whatever input/advice you can offer will be weighed and . Thanks.
    Greetings Dan !
    As mentioned here frequently, they're both excellent pieces of equipment. I had a partner who was a huge fan of Rollei whereas I've always been a Hasselblad shooter. He tried to convert me over and over again. One Saturday afternoon we went to a place called Dover Photo in Dover, NJ close to Hasselblad when it was in Fairfield. A friend of ours from HP Marketing walked into the shop, HP at the time was the distributor for Rollei in the US. They ganged up on me both trying to convince me that Roillei was better than Hasselblad.

10 minutes after this argument started, the door to this shop opened up again and Skip Cohen who was President of Hasselblad America at the time, wandered in to join what had become like a cracker barrel discussion. NOW we had a full-blown argument cooking that lasted nearly an hour. But you know, no one prevailed over the other. Skip conceded The Rollei was a great camera whereas Bobby Saloman from HP agreed Hasselblad too was just as excellent.

I think the best advice for you at this point is find a place and either borrow or rent both of them with a lens of preference at the same focal length for both bodies. Learn the basics about them from the sales guy (or gal), score a bunch of film, black and white and color and then go shoot them for a weekend. See which one feels most comfortable to you to handle both ergonomically and pricewise. Maybe for kicks, check out current resale value and do some research on available and cost of accessories. I can also tell you that service for all my Hassie gear is readily available for CLA's and such at fairly affirdable rates. Don't know about the Rollei gear but you might check that out too but mechanically, I think both are quite reliable.

I could suggest to you in this quandary to buy one of each, but nah. I know how torn I was between a Hasselblad 500C at the time and a Minolta RZ67. Besides, as a Hasselblad user, I'm a certified shopping enabler and currently in treatment to stop doing what I can't help.

Whichever you choose, I hope you really enjoy it, use it in good health and please let us know how it turns out.
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned instant-return mirrors. Not all Hasselblads have them; the SL66 does. I always found finder blackout disruptive, especially when shooting events.

When I shot weddings with my SL66 (in the seventies), the combination of instant-return mirror and the unrivaled close-focusing capabilities were great. I also find the SL66 film magazines a lot easier/faster to load, although I'm sure I could get used to either.

Today I shoot for fun, and I find the SL66 a fantastic camera, either handheld or on a tripod. (although, if I could somehow rationalize the purchase, I'd probably go for a Rollei Hy6 instead. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting point Mike. I guess if you need instant mirror return in a Hasselblad grab one with
    motor drives are the way to go. I have a couple of 553 ELX bodies that I use mainly for portraits. I can see their advantage too for weddings and such. The full recycle time on a 553 ELX working even at slower shutter speeds is pretty fast to avoid taking my eye out of the viewfinder if I'm using it at the time.

I liked trying out the 6006 and the 6008 although I didn't have any great love for the handle on the right hand side. That struck me as being kind of flimsy if it got smacked and it might snap. But I don't know for sure. I suppose again, it really comes down to personal preference.
    Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't forget the 2000 series Hasselblad bodies that had instant return mirrors and focal plane shutters, if you want to play around with odd lenses. They can be a lot cheaper than the Rolleiflex SL/SLX bodies, and for the most part they're newer with better parts supply. And they have a faster top shutter speed too! (1/2000th). I'm actually contemplating getting one and/or a Kiev 88 so I can play with weird lenses on the cheap (the Kiev fisheye is a super-bargain in comparison to the Hasselblad 30mm).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin