Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,405   Online: 707

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I'm actually contemplating getting one and/or a Kiev 88 so I can play with weird lenses on the cheap (the Kiev fisheye is a super-bargain in comparison to the Hasselblad 30mm).
    You've maybe a point there: buying a $ 1500/2000 camera and using a 0,25 ct. 'lens' in front of it to get a picture looks like crazy, on the other hand; when the fricking thing can handle it, why not ? Oh, and about the shutter; don't use these machines when silence is in order! I would love to have this noise as a wake up call on my cell phone: a booming voice "I'M MAKING PICTURES YOU KNOW!!" Handheld? easy; 2.8-1/30 and using a good strap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Don't forget the 2000 series Hasselblad bodies that had instant return mirrors and focal plane shutters, if you want to play around with odd lenses. They can be a lot cheaper than the Rolleiflex SL/SLX bodies, and for the most part they're newer with better parts supply. And they have a faster top shutter speed too! (1/2000th). I'm actually contemplating getting one and/or a Kiev 88 so I can play with weird lenses on the cheap (the Kiev fisheye is a super-bargain in comparison to the Hasselblad 30mm).
    GREAT points ! I always forget about the 2000 series although once I almost accidentally bought a 2000 series lens to wear on a 500CM. Oops. Didn't know about their instant return mirror either. I've always been a bit hesitant on the Kiev knock-offs since I've heard stories about compatibility problems and accessories not quite fitting correctly.

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was a bit optimistic in my comment above about the degree to which the tilt can be used at infinity. Now that it has stopped raining here I have gone out and had another look. With the 80mm and 40mm lenses (all I have here ) you can use at least 4deg of down tilt and get infinity subjects in focus in the top section of the frame,maybe a bit more. Sometimes a bit of juggling is needed, but it's definitely useful. This is enough for convincing near/far landscape work.

Also i've seem some portraits where tilt has been used to accentuate out of focus areas infront of and behind the subject, something i will try soon..
    Last edited by john_s; 08-09-2013 at 09:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k.hendrik View Post
    You've maybe a point there: buying a $ 1500/2000 camera and using a 0,25 ct. 'lens' in front of it to get a picture looks like crazy, on the other hand; when the fricking thing can handle it, why not ? Oh, and about the shutter; don't use these machines when silence is in order! I would love to have this noise as a wake up call on my cell phone: a booming voice "I'M MAKING PICTURES YOU KNOW!!" Handheld? easy; 2.8-1/30 and using a good strap.
    "I'M MAKING PICTURES YOU KNOW!!" - Now my standard utterance while slinging my 'blad around in a wild, irresponsible manner! Followed by a hearty "GODDAMMIT!"

Yes, all these (Hasselblad, Kiev, SL66, etc) are somewhat shockingly noisy, especially when you also are familiar with the quiet of Rollei TLR, Leica M etc. But I love them, still...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I find the sound of the SL66 somewhat softer and more damped compared to the Hasselblad 500 series. Like many said, if you mainly want to adapt lenses from other manufactures. the Rollei is the way to go.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Don't forget with the blad 200 or 200 series you need to deal with focus for your lens. Great option if you can rig a focus mechanism as the amount of blad stuff is much greater than rollei.

Here's a shot with my the verito on my SL66.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=45096

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am really grateful for the helpful, or actually REALLY HELPFUL input. Thank you all sooo much!
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The ergonomics of the Hasselblad allow me to shoot an entire roll without taking the camera with the prism finder mounted from my eye. I hold the camera in my left hand, release the shutter with my left index finger, focus and wind the camera with my right hand. With the focusing knob on the left side of the camera body rather than on the lens, I find focusing very clumsy with the twin lens Rolleis that I've used. I've never used an SL66, but the focusing knob is also on the left side of that camera.

If you're going to be doing a lot of hand held shooting such as for environmental portraits or weddings (does anybody shoot film at weddings anymore?) I'd recommend the 'blad. If you're going to do a lot of tripod mounted landscape or still life photography, I think I'd rather have the swings and tilts of the Rollei.

Unless you consider the Schneider lenses for the Rollei significantly superior to the Zeiss lenses used on both cameras, the lens quality consideration is really a wash.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The hand grip accessory for the SL66 is wonderfully ergonomic IMHO, very comfortable to hold, makes the camera with either the 80 or 150 lenses very well-balanced, and makes a world of difference vs using it handheld by itself. Makes focusing and firing off the shutter (integrated into the handle) easy as pie. The SL66 foot slides perfectly into the holder too.

-----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was looking at this but I wasn't sure about it.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin