Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,699   Online: 834

Shooter
    Medium Format

Magnet vs. Shutter

Hello all

I made a good deal on a flea market: 20 bucks for a voigländer bessa 6x9 folder in very nice condition. The fastener of the leather case was broken, so I replaced it by a magnetic button. For some days I am wondering whether this was a good idea... what do you think: is it possible that the magnet is harming the shutter mechanism of the camera?
    There is a piece of thick leather plus the camera lid between shutter and magnet and I did not notice any negative effect until now.

Thanks,

-Zishe

Shooter
    35mm
    The magnet will have absolutely no affect on the shutter. A good proportion of the working parts will be non ferrous metal and some of the rest will not be affected by magnetism of the strength in the button.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you say you didn't notice anything "until now." Are you now? It is highly doubtful -- the magnet's field isn't going to be all that large and I doubt it will affect the shutter's parts -- which are very large and moved by very strong springs and other forces -- in the least. I suppose it is possible to magnetize the metal up there, though, but before i blamed that for any issues I'd look at a more obvious cause, such as not having been serviced for the last 50 years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would tend to agree with the previous posts, although I have no actual knowledge or experience.

For peace of mind, I would use velcro instead of the magnet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your replies (the bessa is doing a great job, I can hardly wait to develop the rolls shot las weekend).

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    for some 20 years I used an olympus xa as my "pocket notebook". it had an original leather case with a strong magnet just in front of the shutter. no issue ever.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin