Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,989   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format

KIEV 6C -- buy it or not?

Kiev 6C, lens Vega 2.8/80mm with prism.

Should I buy it or not? Second hand and from what I know, in a low price range.

tnx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's your budget? I got a Mamiya RB67 Pro-S with a 90mm lens, waist level finder, and 120 back for about $320 at KEH. Given the plummet in prices in MF gear, I'd look long and hard for a bargain on something more reliable before I put my money into a Kiev. You might get lucky and get a perfect camera, or your might get something you have to fix, or you might get something that a trained technician has to fix, or your might get something that can't be fixed. It's a gamble, and there are lots of bargains to be had in cheap MF gear these days for stuff that's much more reliable.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is said that the camera is in perfect and working condition:
    http://img.yezzz.com/zm2282003.jpeg

Does that seem all right to you?

I'm really looking for a MF but I watch for the older cameras since I don't have a huge budget for the next coming months. After that I'll be able to spent a lot on a complete MF camera set with different lenses.

I see this rather as an intermediate step.

Tnx!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately, a picture of a camera tells you nothing about it's real operating condition. If the camera looked like this and I was buying it from my sister, I'd have no problem. If I was buying it from a stranger, I'd want a strong guarantee that I could return it, as well as proof that the guarantee would be upheld, before I'd consider spending anything for it. But that's just me...you'll have to decide whether or not it's worth the chance for you.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 6C is likely the most reliable of the Kievs. It's alot simpler then the 88s. The only real issue is frame spacing and worse case you can adjust that yourself. The advantage of the Kievs is you can build yourself a collection of lenses.

If you only want the 80mm then I'd go to Keh and buy a Bronica SQ or a Mamiya RB67. If you can live with 6x4.5 I'd buy an older pentax 645 and a Kiev lens adapter. You'll want the adapter to fit the Kiev fisheye at the very least.

Having said if the camera is in working condition and the price is less then $100 it wouldn't bother me. Personally I'd rather have the waist level finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH?
    Look, I'm from Belgium, don't think that's very close to me.

Thanks for the advice. I'll contact te seller to have a look at the camera first.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You've got a strong currency making the stuff even cheaper -)

Images

Go for it

Hi argus,

I've had a Kiev 60 for three years now and not one problem, at all. I bought mine second hand. The lenses for the cameras are cheap and good performers (try to find a 80mm Biometar if you can - around $100-$120.) The body is solid. The camera is known for internal quirks so it is somewhat of a gamble, but I've had no problem with mine and I treat it well.

Feel free to take a look at my personal gallery (it's rather threadbare) but the pictures were taken with a Kiev.

Good luck!

jennifer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin