Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,403   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

645 MF camera with rotating back

Hi Folks,

I've done a bit of hunting on t'interweb and asked this question on another forum but is there a 645 format camera with a revolving back, does the later Mamiya 645 with interchangeable backs rotate like the RB/RZ 67?

Shooter
    35mm
    In short - No.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Rollei - well, DHW Fototechnik now - offers a revolving 645 back + adapter for the Rolleiflex 600x and Hy6 series 6x6 SLRs. It's pretty expensive, though.

None of the Mamiya 645's has a rotating film back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best you can get is a 645back on a Hy6 or an RB67, no native 645s have ever rotated (as far as I am aware).
    But then, unless you're really really pressed for film/cash, you may as well just shoot the full 6x6 or 6x7 and crop.

You may have gotten confused by reading about a Leaf Digital Back, some of them that fit on 6x6 (like Hassy V mount) can rotate around.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Maybe this is a really stupid question, but can't you just rotate the camera? I get why you'd want a rotating back on 4x5 or larger view camera... but for normally handheld or small-tripod-held cameras like 35mm and MF, seems like it's just as easy to turn the camera whichever way you want to frame your picture.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a 645 back for the Mamiya RZ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Maybe this is a really stupid question, but can't you just rotate the camera? I get why you'd want a rotating back on 4x5 or larger view camera... but for normally handheld or small-tripod-held cameras like 35mm and MF, seems like it's just as easy to turn the camera whichever way you want to frame your picture.

Duncan
    The reason you want a rotating back on the RB is for the Waist Level Finder, or ground glass, that most people use. Its a royal pain to use the finder sideways. You can get a prism, but then it weighs a TON, and still not ergonomic. The camera needs to be, and was indented to be, used vertically. I would just pony up for an RB kit. its a great camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm probably just quibbling over semantics, but I think what I would like to see is a rotating 645 back that will work on a 6x6 camera.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'm probably just quibbling over semantics, but I think what I would like to see is a rotating 645 back that will work on a 6x6 camera.
    Rollei seem to have the only one, although for the price, I'd rather just use more film and crop (I'm not counting the RB/RZ67 because they're 6x7 and you said 6x6). Can't find anything for Hassy/Zenza/SL66 etc.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Rollei seem to have the only one, although for the price, I'd rather just use more film and crop (I'm not counting the RB/RZ67 because they're 6x7 and you said 6x6). Can't find anything for Hassy/Zenza/SL66 etc.
    After looking at the price, I think I understand why I didn't know about this back ...

I've blocked it from my mind!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin