Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,618   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bronica ETRSi blank roll

So the second roll I put through this camera came back blank. The first roll was reasonably successfull. This roll was shot using a different back and was Fuji Pro 400 film.

I was also using off camera flash on this roll. I was triggering the flashes with a Yonguno YN622 on the hot shoe of the speed grip. I metered for the flashes with my Seconic flash meter and I was at about 1/160, f11 with the main flash on about 1/4 power if I remember correctly.

I was using a 200mm lens, for the previous roll I used a 75mm.

I did have some problems getting the yn622 trigger into the hot shoe and had to use a plastic spatula to push the pins up to get it into the hot shoe.

Nevertheless the flashes were definately firing but the film was entirely blank, no film markings or anything. The lab said it looked like it hadn't been exposed.

The only thing I can think of was that I must have loaded the film wrong but I don't remember noticing anything different from the previous roll. Anyone have any other ideas?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's easy to accidentally load the film with the paper backing facing the wrong way. I almost made that mistake last night, actually.
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Riehl View Post
    It's easy to accidentally load the film with the paper backing facing the wrong way. I almost made that mistake last night, actually.
    Sure, I've done it myself with my ETRSi, but the OP says there are no markings at all on the film. Wouldn't a backing-backwards roll at least give a rebate, if processed properly (i.e. not fixed first)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mentioned "no film markings" -- that sounds like bad processing, sad to say.

Shooter
    35mm
    Correction. Sorry, I just phoned the lab and apparently the film markings are there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Riehl View Post
    How do you load it with the paper facing the wrong way, or more importantly how do you avoid it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robclarke View Post
    Correction. Sorry, I just phoned the lab and apparently the film markings are there.
    Ah, in that case my guess is either the roll was loaded backwards as mentioned, or your 200mm has a shutter issue. Maybe check it by dry-firing it (using the multi switch) to see that the leaf shutter is in fact working on that lens.

How do you load it with the paper facing the wrong way, or more importantly how do you avoid it?
    Think of the relationship of the backing paper to the film and the light (or the back opening). Loaded one way, the film is unrolled between the light and the paper. If the spool is flipped 180 degrees, the paper ends up between the light and the film, and the film never gets exposed.
    Last edited by ignatiu5; 08-20-2013 at 10:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I did line up the arrow on the roll with the arrow on the back. Can you see the arrow if you load it the wrong way up?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently had a blank roll on my ETRSi and I traced it to the battery. When the battery dies the camera defaults to a very high speed shutter speed, like 1/500. (I looked it up, but forget the exact speed). This happens with no warning. Check your battery, and start keeping a spare around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did line up the arrow on the roll with the arrow on the back. Can you see the arrow if you load it the wrong way up?
    Yes, at the roll, the printed backing is visible either way, but the film should be coming out from "under" the roll and bending over the roller such that the printed side of the paper is against the pressure plate. As has been noted, if you did reverse it you are merely following in the learning path footsteps of throngs of folks ahead of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin