Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,576   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Flexaret Cameras?

What are peoples thoughts on the those Flexaret cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own what I believe is a Flexaret III -- model designations do not appear, but the racheting half-throw crank is supposed to be unique. I'd say the lenses are pretty decent. The winding mechanism feels a little chintzy on mine, but I use it with care. At the moment mine suffers from a very dim viewfinder and the slow shutter speeds hang, but it sat in a closet unused for about thirty years. Its initial acquisition for me was at a flea market circa 1975, with the shutter hung altogether -- I bought it to get an 80 mm lens and decided to try an at-home CLA which worked. There are some relatively recent samples on that page taken with it in 2008, avoiding the slow speeds, as well as some earlier ones.

As far as I know, the III dates from the 1948-1950 time frame, there are much newer models that would probably be a better bet.

At present my go-to TLR is a Yashica Mat 124G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More info and history HERE I also have what I think it is model V. Recently aquired as a gift from relatives in the Eastern Europe. Have not tested the camera with film yet.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to brighten the viewfinder, you can probably get get a new mirror cut by marty1107 on the bay.

I don't have any connection to him but I needed a mirror for my Ikoflex II/III. I pulled the old one and measured with digital calipers, sent Marty the measurements and he was able to send me a perfect replacement. Very affordable as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    If you want to brighten the viewfinder, you can probably get get a new mirror cut by marty1107 on the bay.
    Great! I have to take a closer look on Marty1107 offers. Otherwise, I can recommend the screens from Rick Olesen. They are a good value and make a difference.
    I have a number of Flexarets. The favourite is the IV - It doesn't have the same quality feel like the Zeiss Ikoflex IIa, but it's lighter and it's easy to dis/reassemble when you need to do a CLA. The Belar lens does a good job too!
    When it comes to design, I've always been fond of the VI and VII models. Though, they are heavier than the Flexaret IV.
    If you buy from eBay, I would recommend Cupog - he seems to know these cameras very well!
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that. (A search didn't seem to turn up marty1107, but I may well have done something wrong.) I'll consider a CLA for a winter project, but I'm finding winters aren't long enough to cover the list lately!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that. (A search didn't seem to turn up marty1107, but I may well have done something wrong.) I'll consider a CLA for a winter project, but I'm finding winters aren't long enough to cover the list lately!
    You can email Marty at martywaw@gmail.com. I emailed him the measurements (see attached) and he cut the mirror and created an auction for me to buy it. Now he has the measurements and offers the mirror for others who might be looking for the same. I attached the measurements I sent him.

I have also talked to Rick Olesen about his screens. He's also a super good guy who will help guide you to fitting one of his screens. I think he will even cut spacers if needed.

People like Marty and Rick, who offer these hard-to-find but extremely useful items, deserve to have attention brought to their business.

Here is the mirror for my Ikoflex: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ikoflex-II-I...item3cd4ad59a2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirror.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	73368

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vacuum Coatings Ltd in London will resilver a mirror for you or make a new one at a very reasonable price, not as cheap as that ebay seller though.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure does take great pictures!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Flexarets are good camera's but you need to have one that is serviced recently, Cupog on Ebay is a guy who sell serviced ones and he is trustworthy. The lenses are great and you can even have close-up lenses that will allow you to focus from 33cm and up (without these the minimum focus distance is 1meter). Be sure to take one with a Belar lens, these are the Tessar type lenses because the Mirar lenses are only triplets (Mirar lenses were phased out when the Flexaret IV was introduced). There are also some details to consider, the older models (from Flexaret II till IV) you have to cock the shutter manually while the newer models (Flexaret V till VII and the Standard) are automatically cocked when you wind the film. This automatic winding works great but you cannot do double exposure with them (except with the VII, which has a lever to do Double Exposure). Also, from Flexaret II till V they used the 30mm push on filters while the VI, VII and the Standard use Meopta dedicated bayonet filters which are a little harder to score (although they pop up on the bay from time to time). They also come in a variety of shutters, later models have Metax shutters who will go up to 1/400 of a second while the VII has a Pentacon Prestor shutter that goes up to 1/500 of a second. The IV and V's are installed with various setups, mostly Prontor shutters. Mind that the Flexaret II has been sold next to the newer models as a budget model (it lacks a frame counter) and might be even installed with a Metax shutter.

I used a Flexaret IV and VI for a few years with much pleasure, the way of focusing might be a little awkward at first but you get used to it pretty fast. And they are cheap, even a serviced one will not break your bank. They are certainly worth the try if you are new to MF since they are cheap but like I said before, be sure you get a serviced one because many have been left in closets for over 3 decades and are gummed up.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin