Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,856   Online: 945

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Zeiss Ikon 515/16 questions

Hi,
    I recently picked up an Ikon 515/16 folder with the flip up viewfinder in fantastic cosmetic condition. I'm going to run some film through it tonight to see how is is mechanically.

My question is on focusing the camera. As there is no rangefinder and only distance markings on the lense focus ring do you just set the aperture and distance and hope for the best? I see no other alternative.

Were the old timers just fantastic judges of distance or what?

Thanks,

Mike

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Set the expopsure, guess the distance and away you go.

It's true! You learn to guess distances very quickly with these cameras - I should know, since the first "focussable" camera I used was a 35mm folder.

If possible, stop down to f:16 or so to take advantage of the DOF. Also the lenses are sharpest at about this setting (unless you've got one with a Tessar lens, which is sharp all over).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep, good old "guesstimate' focusing. There are fancier names for it, and even some articles at various web sites about how to do it. Mainly practice, practice, practice, and learn to take advantage of the DOF scale on the lens. Also, depending on whether your Ikon was an import model or not, the numbers on the focus wheel might be in either feet or meters, so that has to be taken in account (hint: if the numbers on the focusing part of the lens start with 1 or 1.5 it's meters, if they start around 3 or 4 it's in feet.) I have a Super Ikonta that originally had a crack in its lens so I found another one (with a reportedly much more desirable Tessar lens) and swapped lenses. Then an odd minor dilemma showed up - the uncoupled rangefinder was in meters and the numbers on the lens were - you guessed it - in feet. I just multiply the rangefinder number by three, and get in the general ballpark. Folders are great fun, and easy to take everywhere, so you should be in for some good times with your new camera.

Joe

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Zeiss Ikon distance measure

I own one of these and recently went to Home Depot and bought a laser distance finder which can be set in feet or meters and have used it to find the distance and then set it on the lens. Worked well for about $30.00

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr David Hall
    I own one of these and recently went to Home Depot and bought a laser distance finder which can be set in feet or meters and have used it to find the distance and then set it on the lens. Worked well for about $30.00
    Well, I have to say I am amazed at how you handled this situation. It would have never occured to me. How does it work outdoors?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    great idea! I'll have to get one
    Thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Ikonta has a hyper focal indicator on the lens. If I set the f stop at the red dot (about f11.5) and the focus at the red dot, I think its about 3 meters (I don't have it with me) everything is in reasonabley sharp focus from about 8 feet out.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Zeiss Ikon distance measure

It works well outdoors up to about 30 feet. It may work beyond that but that's as far as I've tried it. The red dot is easy to see but mine is not quite straight aimed but is close enough. You shouldn't point it at someone's head as it is a laser. I am happy as it can be measured in feet or meters.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin