Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,714   Online: 944

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my Kiev 88, but it is still hard to advise anyone that they should buy one.

However, If you are interested in Kiev I suggest you visit: http://www.kievaholic.com/ I think it explains the camera best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Is a Zorki a good substitute for a Leica?
    On my budget, yes!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Low Budget Show

I get a ton of mileage out of my Kiev 60 ($80 with nice f2.8 lens and metering prism on eBay). It's a huge beast of an SLR and you'll hear the mirror a block off so its not stealth. Weighs about 5# with the prism and a flash bracket/flash, too. But the Arsat f2.8 80mm lens is really nice and sharp.

I also like the Seagull TLR (I forget which model I have). Bright fresnel, easy to use, frame spacing is good.

The Lubitel 166U is about a half step up from the Holga, which I'm also fond of.

Could be that I just like 6x6 negs and cheap cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even though I'm jealous of you SL66 guys I'm voting for my Hassy 501 C/M.

Since I got it my work has really improved. I've never had a problem the thing just works. It can fall 4ft. off the tripod onto concrete and still function! It's hefty but not too heavy that I can't take it on long mountainous hikes. The ability to build a system that matches your needs is great.

The limiter is that the 501 C/M can't be used with a winder, you have to go to the 503 CW body for that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Four favorites (I'm mostly using all manual "classics" these days):

-- Rolleiflex SL66 for the reasons already mentioned.

-- Super Ikonta B (532/16). This camera feels really good in my hands. Excellent coated Tessar lens, very portable and very easy to use.

-- Rolleiflex Automat. A very nonthreatening unobtrusive camera. Quiet shutter. Great Tessar or Xenar lens and never lets me down.

-- Ikonta 6x9 (520/2). A very old camera, but once you get a look at a 6x9 negative, you get spoiled very quickly. Uncoated Tessar lens performs excellently. I took this up to the Great Wall. Cost me $50.

Images
    The Mamiya 7. Wonderful, but the lenses are getting more expensive. For a more flexible and heavier MF system, I use (ocassionally) Pentax 67 II, but it's a pig. Had a Fuji 6x9, but I didn't like the lack of a built in light meter or the extremely loud shutter.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Mamiya C33.
    Ignoring the fact that it's the only mf camera I own,it's the fact that it's the only series of TLRs I've ever come across where you can change the lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    . I haven't changed the battery yet
    I'll NEVER have to change the battery in my C33-it doesn't use one!
    Everything's manual and there's no built~in meter.

There's something really satisfying (after years of using high spec modern SLRs which do so much of the work for you) to use something where you've got to remember to wind the film on manually!
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest
    Fuji 690GSW III, makes 6x9cm negatives and is a rangefinder.
    ps. I am holding it in my avatar !
    The Texas-sized Leica...

I'm fond of Koni-Omegas myself...
    Koni Omega addict.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    And is there a MF out that's not quite so big and bulky?
    Well, like several others, I like what I have. That would be my Mamiya C220, my Kowa Sixes, and my recently acquired (6 months ago) Fuji GS 645.

The TLR and the Kowas are not small, although the TLR is relatively quiet. The Fuji 645 is small, light, and fairly quiet, too. Just no interchangeable lenses, but is does have TTL metering. It, or the bigger Fuji rangefinders might work for your type of photography, however, and I'll bet that's why you asked.

As for Zorki subbing for Leica, well, not in my case. My Zorki doesn't work and I've never had a Leica.

Do my Kowas sub for Hassy. On my budget and status as strictly an amateur, you bet! :rolleyes:

YMMV

Cheers, y'all.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too like what I shoot. I've had a Mamiya 6MF for years. (I don't use the MF part, I just shoot the square.) It is about as compact as I imagine you can get. Shoots both 120 and 220. The lenses could be faster.

I also have a Kiev 88. I really can't recommend it for serious work, unless perhaps you get one of those that have been overhauled and made useful. The lens produces nice images though when I do get it to work, but just about everything with my particular 88 needs work. I get light leaks, inconsistent frame spacing, and inconsistent shutter speeds. I got it very cheap though, so it is true you get what you pay for.

If you can accept the limits of the Mamiya 6 (only three lenses, can't swap backs, lenses aren't the fastest), it is a great camera. The images produced by it are beautiful (in the right hands, not necessarily mine! :-)

-chuck

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin