Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,142   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's your favourite MF camera or alternative?

Hi everyone, I'd love to know what your favourite MF cameras are and why?

And is there a MF out that's not quite so big and bulky?

Thank you for sharing.
    Kind regards,
    Nicole

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    Bronica ETRS, Because I have one - and I'm familiar with it. I also haven't changed the battery yet, and I've had the camera for 14 years.

And is there a MF out that's not quite so big and bulky?
    Any old folder, any rangefinder, hundreds of choises!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What? You have doubts about your Hasselblad?
    I love my 501CM crazilly!
    I like the looks, how it feels on my hand, its weight, its sound.
    The square is perfect for my mind and I can't go back to rectangle now.
    And I won't say anything about the quallity of construction or of the lenses.

The only problem is that is too darned expensive, but I was lucky to get one
    in the first place so I shouldn't complain.

Maybe a TLR or a rangefinder is easier to carry, but I find the 501CM very
    versatile and as you know it sits on a tripod as well as it does on my hands,
    so I couldn't have picked a better camera.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Mamiya 7 is very great rangefinder in MF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For smaller MF cameras, I would recommend one of the fugi Rangefinders, or the Mamyia Rangefinders, the Mamyia 7 is a very easy to use and quite comfortable in the hands, operates very simular to a 35mm, but gives a great big negative for great enlargements and detail.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do love my Hasselblad but am also looking for something a little smaller and lighter for me. I suppose like a rangefinder.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on which MF Rangefinders there are - I haven't a clue!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Rolleiflex SL66. The same quality Zeiss lenses Hasselblad uses but a lot cheaper. Scheimpflug, Macro and pinhole possibilities automatically built in. Very rugged and stable camera. Interchangeable backs. All-mechanical. Affordable. 6x6 format. See Barry Thorntons experiences with these one-eyed rolleiflexes.

They are not smaller than the hassy's though. But I consider that an advantage. It allows me to shoot 1/8 second without a tripod.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favourite would be my Yashica TLR, simply because it's the only working MF I have. (No back or lens for the RB I will be picking up today ). The Yashica isn't really heavy but it is definitly a bit bulky when your used to a 35mm.
    I've seen the Mamiya 7 and it looks like a 35mm on steriods. Taller and slightly thicker, it is still looks less bulky than the component style of the Bonicas, Hassys and Mamiya RZ&RBs. Sory can't comment on the quality.
    Or like Ole says, the old folder style still get high raves for ease and lens quality.

Shooter
    35mm

mamiya RZ 67

Well this is not a good choice for those that do not like big and bulky for sure. There are a couple of reasons that I very much like the camera: the built in bellows. The revolving back. Far from an ideal camera if you want to hand hold it. Very nice lenses.

Too my way of thinking if I was looking for a MF camera to photograph children and I was using the camera handheld and not being able to change lens was ok, I would choose a Rolleiflex TLR with either the 2.8 or 3.5 Zeiss Planar lens. It is at least as quite as a Leica rangefinder. It is a very durable, highly evolved camera. The center of the viewing hood snaps back and functions as a frame finder. Directly below the frame finder is a mirror attached to the part of the hood that is pushed back which allows checking focus on the ground glass. The camera has a very neat depth of field scale that show a white band that expands and contracts as the F stop is changed. The camera has the best film handling of any MF camera made.
    In all the above comments I am reffering to vintage Rolleis. I have been watching the price of these cameras for well over 30 years and they continually increase. I would not spend the money to get a mint example. I would get one that is very clean though. The camera is quite light in weight for MF camera. The nice thing about the frame finder on the hood is that you do not have to make adjustments for the left/right reversal that you see on the ground glass. I would think that for a person using both 35 and MF that this would be quite helpful as it takes a lot of experience to adjust to the left/right reversal on quick shooting. Prism finders are expensive, although available for the Rollei TLR and add substantially to the weight.

Keep working with those children. You are getting very good at it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji 690GSW III, makes 6x9cm negatives and is a rangefinder.
    ps. I am holding it in my avatar !
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin