Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,254   Online: 839

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yashica Model D cable release

Hi there,

a friend of mine recently bought a Yashica TLR (I think a Model D). There is no thread for a standard cable release so when we have been shooting at night she has actually been holding the shutter button down for up to 45 minutes - aside from being a pain I imagine it will result in some shaky images. Anyway, online I have seen references to something called a Leica nipple, but I haven't been able to find one, or find a picture of one to see what it actually is. The manual says a "standard overlap type cable" will work. Is this the same as a Leica nipple? Is it a cable release? Or is it an adapter which will allow the use of a cable release? Does it have another name?

More than looking for the answers to these questions I'm really wondering where my friend could find one, and also if there are any other solutions for the Yashica in terms of cable releases? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "Leica nipple" is also of use on Nikon Fs and others, it's for older cameras and adapts them to use a standard cable. If that is what you need, that is. Is there a thread around the base of the shutter button, say a bit less than 3/8" in diameter? Also, is there a "T" setting on the shutter?
    Edit - If there is no "T" setting, you'll need a locking cable.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 08-27-2013 at 12:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Here is one available for purchase, but it is easily lost if you ever remove it and shoot without the cable release.

If you want a cable release with it built in, it would look like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    Here is one available for purchase, but it is easily lost if you ever remove it and shoot without the cable release.

If you want a cable release with it built in, it would look like this.
    When I switched to Nikons in the mid 90s, I bought an adapter and LocTited it to a cable. Miraculously, I still have it and the cable!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found mine at Adorama, but it appears to be discontinued now. The Nikon AR-2 cable release (for Nikon F and F2) should also work. Keep in mind that there may be a trim ring threaded onto the cable release threads on the Yashica, which should be removed first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks very much everyone - I assume there is no T setting, only bulb. I am guessing the AR-2 release is all one unit? Is it a locking unit? If not she will have to get an adapter and use a normal locking cable release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&H has an AR-2, used, for 12.95. The little ring at the top, just above the finger guard, is a screw-down lock ring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nikon_37072.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	73576

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin